Need help with lag issues...

Really need some help with the lag issues I'm having, if someone could help me out that would be great.

I've got the Reach spec edition XBOX 360 S running through a HDMI cable to an LED.

BIG guitar hero fan and this lag basically makes this unplayable.... I know about the calibrate lag settings ingame in GH, but they really don't do much, is it worth buying one of those optical audio adapters and running the audio through that to the TV?

Even tried running the AV cable that came with the xbox to the TV as well as the HMDI, same with the component cable that came with my old 360.

Will finding one of those adio adapter dongles fix all this?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you are getting lag no matter what cables you use then the issue lies with either your tv (the response time is too high anything over 8ms) or your home network (check your settings in your router).

Until recently I was using a 22 inch samsung LCD.  Had no issues at all.  I bought a cheap 40 inch LCD (Best Buy's in-house brand) and had MAJOR input lag issues.  Made playing shooters like Halo almost impossible.  Brought that TV back and upgraded to a Panasonic 42 inch plasma.  It's awesome, with no lag issues at all.  I've read up on the topic extensively at this point, and if you play a lot of fast-paced games like shooters and guitar hero, etc., plasma might be the solution.  Worked for me.

You can use LCD tvs for gaming you just need ot make sure the response rate is below 8ms. The lower the better. I use a Philips 19" LCD with a response rate of 4ms.

I heard the same thing about plasmas though.

If you can turn off the TV's image processing features, or put it in "game mode" that may help.

[quote user="Temhotabot"]

You can use LCD tvs for gaming you just need ot make sure the response rate is below 8ms. The lower the better. I use a Philips 19" LCD with a response rate of 4ms.

I heard the same thing about plasmas though.

[/quote]Ignorance is bliss.

Response time has nothing to do with input lag experienced while gaming. 

To quote the last link you posted:

"The pixel response time is often confused with the LCD input lag which adds another form of latency to pictures displayed by LCD screens."

It's impossible for a person to perceive a 4ms delay. So if you're talking about 8ms vs 4ms or even less, it's negligible and therefore doesn't impact the experience whatsoever.

Input lag on non-CRT displays is usually somewhere between 15-250ms depending post-processing options and the speed of the video processor. Fast displays optimized for speed will get into the 15-45ms range of input lag, which is very playable. Slower ones will be in the 60-250ms range which is increasingly worse and can range from mildly to very noticeable.

Even with an 8ms response time the pixels will still be refreshing twice per frame with a 60Hz source. You won't be able to tell if it refreshes 4 times instead. You can choose to believe whatever you want, I'm just stating the facts.

It's hard enough to perceive a 30m/s delay, let alone 8ms.

In terms of LCD there is nothing better than around 30ms, which is perfectly acceptable for gaming, your hands won't even move that fast after your brain sends the signal.

As said, put your display in Game mode to ensure other processing is off and to reduce the Input Lag.

Anyone who says "you need 8ms or less" to play games, doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately this TV doesn't appear to have a Game mode... this is such a pain in the @@@ lol

Does any other game lag on your tv? It could be the disc.