NEED HELP IN CHOOSING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

Curious, why are you looking for an external HD? What purpose?

There is no point in buying an external hard drive if you intend to use it as 360 storage. No matter its size you'd only be able to use 16gb of it. You'd be better off buying a decent 16gb USB stick for the purpose.

-

If you want PC storage then I'd get the Western Digital drive. I've not had much luck with Seagate drives and find them to be quite unreliable.

USB 3.0 Is Backwards Compatible To USB 2.0 Interfaces & Speeds...

You Can Plug A USB 3.0 Device, Into A USB 2.0 Port... But, The Speed Will Only Be That Of USB 2.0 & Essentially Useless...   As voteDC Said, The XBOX 360, Will Only Recognise 16GB... Anything Larger & The 360 Will Configure It Back To 16GB..

I Would Stack SSD's In Raid For A Gaming Computer..

www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-4-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

Or Use This..

www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-hybrid-pci-express-solid-state-drive.html

To be honest I'd keep my eye on prices for USB 2.0 drives. They'll be dropping with the release of the USB standard and you'll no doubt be able to get some good deals on large drives. For storage or streaming media a USB 2.0 drive will be perfectly good for most people.

-

Also I've got to say that SSD is really only for enthusiasts. The prices you pay, for the sizes you get, are just too much in my opinion.

If it's for the 360 don't bother and if it's for PC use now is not a good time to buy HDDs. I got a USB 3.0 WD External 3TB for around $109 last year before the shortages caused prices to spike. The same drive has an MSRP of $300 now. Also a 1TB drive with USB 2.0 transfer speeds will drive you nuts if you plan on streaming high bandwidth content off of it or making large backups.

-

Putting SSD drives in raid is kinda pointless and expensive as a single SSD can almost saturate SATA 6Gb\s.

Alright thanks people!

I don't have to worry about prices for 'em, though. All those things on Ebay are auctions that I won. Although, I cut a deal where I have the option to only purchase one of 'em. I got pretty shnazy deals on them so I don't need to worry about the prices.

Also SSDs sound interesting, buy I think i'll buy them later on. I don't feel like i'm wasting my money with these, since I got a 100 dollar gift card on ebay, and I got pretty good deals with these as it is.

Also, the 360 can only detect 16GB on externals? Why are people buying 1TB  for 'em then?

[quote user="Smiling Cat"]

Also a 1TB drive with USB 2.0 transfer speeds will drive you nuts if you plan on streaming high bandwidth content off of it or making large backups.

-

Putting SSD drives in raid is kinda pointless and expensive as a single SSD can almost saturate SATA 6Gb\s. [/quote]

I Beg To Differ... Your SSD, Will Only Read/Write Around 600MB/s & You Can Put Over 10 SSD's In RAID, Before The SATA III 6GB/s Interface, Is Even Close To Being Saturated [It's Really 6144MB/s]... You Don't Double The Speeds Of Drives, In RAID Either

RAID Formation Of Drives, Increases The Transfer Speeds, By A Large Margin & Speeds Up Any Computer Dramatically...  

In My Personal Experience... I Wouldn't Buy A WD Drive... I Just Added A 2TB WD Caviar Green Drive, As A Secondary Storage Device & It Slows Down, Windows 7 Dramatically & When I Remove It, The Pyro OS SSD's Scream Again...

Drives Use Microsoft Default Drivers Now & Need Their Own Drivers To Perform Properly...  

My WD 1TB External Drive, Has Embedded WD Software On Drive Too & Reduces The Drive Capacity Buy Another 70-100GB...