Need help: Disc Tray keeps thinking that it's opening.

Hey all,

I couldn't find a "console tech support" section so I'm putting this here.

As of today my console (Xbox 360 slim) is acting very weird. Whenever I open the disc tray to swap games over and then close it again, it keeps saying "opening" on the disc drive section of the Xbox dashboard. Usually the game's picture would appear there and then I press it to play. Now this happens. Also, whilst this is happening the little green power light in the centre of the silver power button flashes constantly.

I have to open and then close the tray multiple times for it to properly detect my game and then I can play. I should stress that there is NO PROBLEM with the drive physically opening and closing.

There is also no problems (so far) in actually reading the games (they play fine) or installing them once it has finally decided to realise that the tray is closed.

Anyone know what this is and if I can solve it? I've decided to put my Xbox on it's side (it was vertical) and try it later after work. Hopefully that will help. I'm a bit angry tbh. I've gone through three old Xboxs thanks to the RROD (graphics chip soldering melting) and now I finally get this slim back in June and it too seems to be breaking...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 38 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Can't say i have heard of this issue. Sounds like an internal problem with the xbox, you might be best contacting Microsoft to see what they say.

It's a Microsoft product. You have to expect issues.

Sorry, I know this wasn't helpful info... Just sad truth.

I have just bought my kids an 360 for christmas and this fault is happening with ours, it has had less than 5 hours of playing time. I have now booked a repair. for the price these things cost you think they would last longer than a day!!!!!!

Y and X have been changed for the new dashboard? I still naturally press Y and it ejects :)

[quote user="Romer treece"]

I have just bought my kids an 360 for christmas and this fault is happening with ours, it has had less than 5 hours of playing time. I have now booked a repair. for the price these things cost you think they would last longer than a day!!!!!!

[/quote]

5 hours old and you are getting it repaired?

take it back to the shop and get it replaced.

Does any know how to fix this problem, or should I look elsewhere?

Try explaining to the xbox that its not opening. No I kid.. I would take it back to the store you got it at.

All I Can Say; Is Never Press/Touch The Drives Tray, To Close It...

[The Internal Plastic Cog On Drive Tray, Is Most Likely Damaged [Off By A Tooth Or Two & Sensor Isn't Picking Up, That It Is Closed...] 

Tell Your Kids To Be Careful...

Its a slim there is no tray.

Yeah It Is... I Forgot About That... You Still Don't Force The Disc In Though... The Drive Has Rollers & Pulls The Disc In..

If You Force The Disc, It Will Stuff Up The Sensors...

I'm Used To End-Users, Using Disc Trays As Cup Holders & Automatically, Thought Disc Tray... LOL.. + Heading Says Disc Tray...