Need help deciding which headset to buy

To start off, I mostly playing shooting games and Madden. I want to get a new headset because Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty MW3 are all coming out this fall. I am willing to spend up to $180 and I am not interested in a wireless setup because of the battery charging hassle.

I have broken it down to these 4 headsets:

- Gears of War 3 Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound Headset for Xbox 360

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5172&idCategory=96

- Turtle Beach Ear Force DX11 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-dx11.aspx

- Call of Duty®: Black Ops Dolby True 5.1 Gaming Headset for Xbox 360

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5047&idCategory=339

- Tritton AX Pro Dolby Digital Precision Gaming Headset

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4791&idCategory=317

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated on which is best. Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I go by kool bubba ice. I have many blogs on gaming headphones & headsets along with a facebook page

www.facebook.com/.../188754404494101

I'm currently offering a GOW 3 game to the winner of a contest I'm holding. I just want to know how my facebook page has helped you become a better gamer. More info can be found on my page.

In general, multiple driver headsets are supbar, that is why companies like Tritton & turtle beach are going with Dolby 5.1 SS.

I just purchased these Sharkoon TRUE surround headset from Amazon for a fair price, they are the best headset I have ever used at a better price. I have owned and still own Turtle Beach  X11, X41 and Tritton AX Pros and 720 these beat them by a long shot, I would recommend trying them out. They are not fake surround, there is 4 speakers in each ear, and there a lot of control options with them, I highly recommend! they are Sharkoon X-tatic true 5.1

I probably sounded like a commercial huh? I am just that happy that I found these and gave them a try.

One more thing sine it timed out and I couldn't edit is the fact the 360 games audio engines only go up to 6 channels as support for at least Dolby 5.1 is a requirement. Don't know of any 360 games that go beyond that requirement.

Right now only WMAPro encoded audio on the 360 is the only way to get 7.1 Otherwise it is stuck at Dolby 5.1 output and any 7.1 is just a decoder taking that 5.1 signal and using Dolby specs to emulate the side channels from the 5.1 source. So far every 7.1 headset does this and then uses just two drivers so you get a highly processed 5.1 signal to emulate 7.1 played out of normal stereo headphones. If they did add 7.1 the current set of 7.1 decoders for headphones wouldn't actually be able to handle the signal and you would have to use 5.1 output.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thats what I was thinking about the drivers per side.

My big dilemma is, right now the xbox doesn't support 7.1, but it will and probably soon (maybe fall dashboard update). So do i purchase a 5.1 headset with multiple drivers like the AX Pros or do I go for a 7.1 headset like the GoW 3 one. If I choose the GoW 3 headset, I'll be ready for when the xbox DOES support 7.1. I'm just not sure.

I have the Tritton AX Pro headset and really like it. While I can't really say whether having multiple drivers in each earcup makes a difference, it seemed like a good idea... The CoD headset is the AX Pro in a different color, and it also includes the storage/carrying case if that matters to you.

I can't see any advantage to the Turtle Beach DX11 other than costing less; and if you were going to go with Tritton why get fewer speaker drivers for more money in the Gears 3 headset? (Well, the digital controller has a second headset jack, if you cared about that. Selectable Voice Monitoring could interest some people.)

My buddy's and I all have the Turtle Beach. No worries it's easy to install and use. Go wire, then you don't need to worry about recharging.