Need help changing windows live Id primary e-mail.

I go to change my e-mail at the following link:  https://account.live.com/summarypage.aspx?page=default.srf&id=9&vv=1100&mkt=EN-US&lc=1033

When I login and click change by my e-mail, I choose the option to use my e-mail that isn't hotmail or live.  I get the following error:

There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, try again later.

Temporary is, "This will work eventually".  I've been trying to do this off and on for the better part of a year.  WTF is going on?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Have you tried changing your Windows Live ID on your Xbox?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Click this link for instructions on changing your WLID on your xbox.  Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not.  I will try doing this on my lunch.  

Sorry this didn't help.

None of those worked.  When I go to create a live id using my gmail account, I get a message that it is already taken.  When I try to change my e-mail account to my gmail, I get a message that reports that it is unavailable.  When I try to reset my LIVE password for my GMail account, I get a message that says the e-mail is correct or doesn't exist.

Sorry this didn't help.

cl3tUs: Can you tell me simply what it is you want to do? Are you trying to change your WLID (log in email) or your contact information? Let me know so we can better direct you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to change my login e-mail to use my GMail instead of my work e-mail.  I get notifications at my GMail account right now as I had managed to set that up, but, I haven't been able to change the login e-mail.

I called MS support and after being on hold for about 45 minutes, they informed me that they couldn't find any record of my gmail account being used anywhere, but speculated that I may have started to fill out a profile at some point and never finished it.  Their solution was to just use a different e-mail.  I'm not happy with that solution.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

If the gmail account was used at some point, the only way to free it up is to know that account, log in to it, and change the WLID to some other email address, freeing up your gmail one. Unfortunately, if the system says it is already in use, than it is unable to be used here.

I understand that this is an unsatisfactory answer, but there is nothing that support can do here for you. We can't just force the WLID to be available to you. What I would recommend is creating a new email account strictly for your Xbox LIVE account. This will not only increase your account security, but allow you to change your personal email address without having to change it here. To receive the emails, just set the new account to forward mail to your personal account.

Again, I am truly sorry for your frustration here and hope you find a resolution that best suits your needs. Thanks! 

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand that, but when I try to login using that, I get the "did you forget your pw", so I assume that I did and I go to fill out the password recovery, then it tells me that there is no account attached to my GMail account and that I need to create the account first.

Sorry this didn't help.

Quick question here.  Have you tried to recover an account onto the xbox using the gmail account?  That's the easiest way to find out if something is attached.

Also, why not just go into your hotmail and forward all messages to your gmail account.  I have a separate email address for my gamertag which is only used for xbox stuff.  All messages are forwarded to my main account.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I did, but I don't remember what the message was.  It said something like the account was "unavailable" and wanted me to sign in.  I tried to go through the reset, but it wanted me to go to account.live.com to reset my PW, which takes me back to the "You have an account...it needs to be reset, wait, we can't find anything with that account."

Sorry this didn't help.