Need broadband advice on price

Hello earthling-idges

-

Moving house very soon and with that means that I lose the Virgin 30 gibbers of mega speed, as my new area is not cable ready. They can however now give Virgin broadband down a phoneline.

-

I asked what speeds I would drop to and in my new area I could get 5.6 gibbers of download speed and with evening and weekend calls f0r £30.98.

-

Is this a good price or is it worth going with someone else. I do not watch TV and to be honest I don't need a landline, but my new area leaves me with no choice on the latter. Do any of you chaps use Virgin from a phoneline instead of from cable, and is the download speeds good?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

have you priced up sky instead?

I pay  £12 a month for broadband with around 9 "gibbers" download speed,plenty for xbox live.

I think the line rental is only about £5 on top of that,you don`t need the tv packages either.

Do I not need to get in contact with BT to get SKY?

-

Also I'm wondering because Virgin offer the phoneline thing, I will have to stay with them to fulfil my years contract.

I have sky - for me the expierence of setting it up was a mare - the router they sent me was knackered and took ages to sort out-however that was 5 years ago when sky internet was new to the scene..............In all honesty i have had no dramas since ( Touch wood).............I do believe though you have to have a BT line - even though my phone is via sky.................

Tried the price comparison thing....

-

www.sky.com/.../uswitch

-

It would work out around the same price as Virgin, so I may as well just stick with Virgin. Cheers gents.

You don't need a Corporate Internet Connection to enjoy XBox LIVE.

You just need normal Broadband.

You can get it from O2 starting from £ 7.50 a month.

The worst thing about getting a Corporate Internet Connection for your house... besides the price... is that many games nowadays are actually slowing you down so you don't go and wipe out everyone else with your broader connection.

Az

[quote user="Gory Masher"]Do I not need to get in contact with BT to get SKY?[/quote]

I don`t deal with BT at all,my phone line rental comes from tesco.

if you already have a phone line in then you don`t need to get it from sky or BT,so you can knock off the £14.50 line rental charge that sky are quoting.

you can then add the sky talk offers for the free calls(this is what i meant by the extra £5)

[quote user="Gory Masher"]

Do I not need to get in contact with BT to get SKY?

-

Also I'm wondering because Virgin offer the phoneline thing, I will have to stay with them to fulfil my years contract.

[/quote]

no you dont need to contact bt to get sky, all you need is a bt socket in your house and sky will do the rest. As i recently went from bt telephone line to sky phone line and they just set it up using the bt socket in my flat and the number i had with bt

Just gonna stick with Virgin. If it turns out to be pants then I can get a new ISP next August.