NAT Warning..Unable to fix problem..Why is there a problem if I'm not using a router?

I went through all the online troubleshooting steps. Since it didn't fix the problem, I was directed to post my problem on the forum.

I receive a message the my NAT is not open and therefore I might have problem with connecting and communicating on Xbox Live. I'm told to change my router so UPnP is on. The problem is my xbox is wired directly to my modem. I don't use a router at all. I followed the steps about disconnecting my modem then reconnecting, also I reset my settings to the factory settings but neither worked. I don't understand what's wrong and what I should do.

Thanks

Angela

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hello Englishgal, have you tried to contact your ISP regarding this issue to see if it's something on their end that could be causing your NAT to be strict if you are connecting directly from your modem to the XBOX 360?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I read a very good article someone posting on this forum about something similar but he refered to a router. But reading the article I realized that my wireless computer uses the modem eventhough the Xbox is hardwired. I located the modem's manual online. I reinstalled the modem and reached a point where I could have the NAT enabled of disabled. I had the options below. I checked the enabled box and reset the modem so I hope this might do something. Although I don't see anything about opening it or setting it to different settings like open, moderate, or strict.

ENABLE NAT = If enabled, the single HFC IP Address (public IP address) assigned by the cable provider is mapped to many private IP addresses on the SBG900 LAN."

NEW NAT PASSTHROUGH = Specifies up to 32 computers as passthrough clients not subject to NAT, using their MAC

addresses. To enable this feature to work, your cable operator may need to provide you with additional public IP addresses.

CURRENT NAT PASSTHROUGH= Lists the computers on the LAN that are configured for NAT passthrough.

I have a Motorola Surboard modem and the article I read stated this

"some Motorola Surfboard modems are able to simultaneously connect up to 31 devices to the Internet, despite having just one ethernet port (with the help of ethernet switches). To resolve that, you need to configure your modem for "bridging mode" or "pass through" mode. In most cases, you might even need to call your Internet provider, as a lot of modems get a custom firmware specifically made for your Internet Service Provider.

If you have read all this do you know what I should set this on?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you've enabled NAT then you should be good by going to check and see if it's popping up as open now My XBOX > System Settings > Network Settings > Wired Network > Test Connection and see if it still displays a message. The other options you don't really have to worry about. Let us know if that solved it for ya.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tested the xbox and it gives me the same answer that the NAT isn't open.

If I select the NAT passthrough on the modem it wants a MAC (Mdiea Access Control) address. But I was only able to locate an IP address on the Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

To find the IP Address for your XBOX 360 can be found by going to the My XBOX > System Settings > Network Settings > Wired Network > Configure Network there is a tab in there that will show you the IP Address listed, you can try that out.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can find the IP address but it ask for the MAC address.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please read:- forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

And post back your details in full (the bits that are in bold on that post) so that people may help

If you are wireless can you also state whether you are using the white or black external adapter or the Xbox 360S Internal adapter

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.