NAT type regularly changes from open to moderate

I have been using a Linksys E3000 since Fall 2011.  My Xbox is in the DMZ and has a static IP. UPnP is enabled. For at least six months my NAT was always open. Then after a dashboard update I started noticing my NAT type would change frequently. Yesterday when I signed in my NAT was open for the entire session. Today it is moderate. When I was playing more often It would easily switch a dozen or more times throughout the day.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Greetings pureg30!
Appreciate if you could post up the make and model of your modem as well.

Does it require for you to have DMZ enabled on your router to get an Open NAT? UPnP should not be enabled when you set your Xbox's IP address in the DMZ and thereby enabled it. Turn off UPnP.

More important! Make sure your router is up-to-date with the latest version of firmware. Visit Linksys webpage and make sure it is up-to-date.

Cisco and Linksys routers have a feature called Filter Anonymous Internet Requests. This feature tend to cause NAT issues. If this is enabled, turn it off.

Post back and let us know how it goes. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Since CERT and Homeland Security now recommend against UPnP as a security risk, suggest disabling UPnP, and doubly so since it can conflict w/ DMZ. See  http://www.us-cert.gov/current/#cert_releases_upnp_security_advisory and http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-disable-upnp-as-tens-of-millions-at-risk-7000010512/

Sorry this didn't help.

My modem is an Arris Touchstone TM722. I have signed in twice since I made a change to the settings and it has been open both times. I will keep checking but I think that solved that solved problem. Thanks Taidara

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Let's hope it will stay that way. :)

Sorry this didn't help.