NAT type issues

Can anyone tell me why when I test my xbox live connection it says everything is up and running and then when I try to join  a certain multiplayer lobby through either my friends list or recent player list, I then get a error message saying my NAT type is set to strict? The specific game in question is nascar inside line. Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 18 Applies to:

your nat type is set through your isp through your router I have found that if you turn the router off for about thirty seconds then on again when it has settled (lights etc.) go to xbox dashboard and re test connection this usually fixes the issue :)

how you test your connection on xbox 360

hop this helps :)

1.Press the Guide button on your controller, then select Settings, select System Settings and select Network Settings.

2.Select the name of your Wireless Network, or select Wired Network for a wired connection.

3.Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If this solution worked, your console will connect to Xbox LIVE.

Note If you are prompted to update your console software, select Yes

[quote user="Intimidator3338"]Can anyone tell me why when I test my xbox live connection it says everything is up and running and then when I try to join  a certain multiplayer lobby through either my friends list or recent player list, I then get a error message saying my NAT type is set to strict?[/quote]What router do you have? Do you have UPnP enabled on the router? Can you log into the router to check what UPnP port forwarding has been registered?[quote user="RabbitWhisperer"]your nat type is set through your isp[/quote]It's not.

I stand corrected I was under the impression that it was so I apologise for that miss info :)

[quote user="RabbitWhisperer"]your nat type is set through your isp through your router[/quote]Yes and No!

A reflexive address is determined by a STUN (Session Traversal Utilities for NAT) server, to diagnose the behavior of the NAT. This is also determined by which service you use.

[quote user="taidara"]Yes and No![/quote]On his local router end? It's a no.

If there's NAT going on beyond his router, he has no control over it. The NAT and UPnP setup on his local router is under his control, it's not set by the remote end other than perhaps his ISP providing a router and it using the default settings out of the box.

STUN doesn't apply. Live takes care of figuring out what the public IP and ports are on the user end. It's why Live is involved with the setup of multiplayer games on the 360 (outside System Link and same-console multiplayer). The process was documented on the Live Engineering Blog, but has since gone missing.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="taidara"]Yes and No![/quote]On his local router end? It's a no.[/quote]I'm not referring to end-user NAT behavior! Yes, for specific services, as CGN. But it also depends on how you interpret the text.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]STUN doesn't apply. Live takes care of figuring out what the public IP and ports are on the user end. It's why Live is involved with the setup of multiplayer games on the 360 (outside System Link and same-console multiplayer). The process was documented on the Live Engineering Blog, but has since gone missing.[/quote]The Xbox 360 uses custom STUN. The Xbox One uses the Teredo protocol (among several functions), to diagnose and discover end-user NAT behavior (a simplified method to the STUN utility tool).

[quote user="taidara"]'m not referring to end-user NAT behavior![/quote]Given this is an end-user forum, is there a reason we shouldn't assume this is an end-user issue?
[quote]The Xbox 360 uses custom STUN.[/quote]That implies the 360 has the intelligence to connect to devices other than Live. It doesn't. Live maintains the information require for 360s to communicate between each other. Without Live, they can't. Even with Live if the end user doesn't play well remote 360 consoles won't be able to communicate with the end-user console. That's why the 360 throws up NAT Moderate and NAT Strict. It's something that Live determines, not the local 360 console.[quote]the Xbox One uses the Teredo protocol (among several functions), to diagnose and discover end-user NAT behavior[/quote]This isn't the Xbox One forum.

Further discussion on this topic is moot until the topic starter provides further information.

@IceStorm III - You're not there yet! Thank you for "listening" though. *back to topic*