NAT Problems

Hello,

I have some NAT problems. The way that I use my xbox live is I hook it up to my computer, and then use my computer's wireless connection to get online. Last night, I opened my routers ports that I was told (80,3074,53 and 88), and it still says my NAT is moderate or strict. the UPnP is enabled as well. Any ideas on what to do?

What Country/State/Province do you live in? United States/Oregon
Modem brand & model number:  CLEAR Modem (not sure of model number)
Router brand & model number:  Belkin G F5D7234-4 V5000
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired: Xbox hooked to computer, computer uses wireless connection
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?
Things you have tried: I have opened ports, enabled UPnP
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown Yes
Is NAT Type Open? ???
Any Error Codes you encounter: N/A
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G?
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? CLEAR
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? Your NAT level is strict or moderate

Thanks!!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi,

Many issues with this one I'm afraid

The first one is very likely to be down to your chosen ISP, can you go into the status menu of the Clear modem and look at the WAN or Internet IP Address. Does it start with 10, 192 or 172? If so please post it up, if it starts with anything else please only post the first part of it, i.e. 62.129

If the WAN/Internet IP Address does with 10 or 192 or 172 then your ISP is providing you with a private ip address not a public one, which means they are already NAT'ing your connection before it gets to you. You could ask if they can supply a public ip address.

Ideally you only want your Xbox connection NAT'd once (or not at all)

1. Your ISP may well be NAT'ing your connection
  2. Your Belkin is NAT'ing again
  3. Then if your sharing your PC connection using ICS (and not bridging) your NAT'ing again

3 * NAT is a big problem. But I'd start with checking what your ISP is giving you for an ip address before doing anything else

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.