NAT Open, Ports Open…So, what’s the problem here? Motorola NVG510 Router

I’m unfortunate enough to have an AT&T Uverse Internet Connection with the fabled Motorola NVG510 router which no one knows truly how to operate. I’m not very tech savvy, and it took a lot of groundwork to get where I am now. This all started in late December when I unwrapped my new Xbox 360 console…

One of the first steps we took was to purchase an Xbox Live Gold membership for the family. After months of fighting with my router and very uncooperative help from AT&T support, I now have all of the ports open for Xbox Live to work properly, but I’m still having issues connecting. When I run a network test on my console, it either shows no sign of trouble (showing that I can connect to Xbox Live, but it won’t let me when I actually try to sign in) or it will be able to connect to the Internet, but not to Xbox Live and the solutions offered are to restart my router and search www.xbox.com/connection-help for port-forwarding instructions (which I’ve already followed to a T.)  My Application Hosting Entry on my router looks like this: http://oi44.tinypic.com/28ap311.jpg

I have it set up so that the number next to XBOX# is the port number I have opened. All ports have both UDP and TCP open.

It seems like the longest I’ve been on Xbox Live without problems is only a matter of a few hours. When I CAN sign in, I still receive the 80072ee2 error message saying that some “Xbox Live content cannot be displayed” etc.  Occasionally, I will lose my connection to Xbox Live for several hours, a day, etc, and when I can log back on, the 80072ee2 message always greets me.

I tried downloading a game addon recently. It was moving at an extremely slow pace (1% every fifteen minutes or so) even though I had all of the other wireless devices in the house turned off.  It failed once, and the second time I tried to download it, it finally worked, but only after more than seven hours for a download that an Xbox Rep. I spoke with over the chat system said should only take twenty-five minutes normally.

I really don’t know what to do next here. All of the support threads I’ve read seem to point to the fact that the NVG510 is just a complicated router to deal with, with no official manual, and very little support, and that if this is going to be fixed, someone is going to have to do some trailblazing. Those who have reported to “fix” their issues with the router haven’t posted their process to aid anyone else.

Any thoughts?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 152 Applies to:

Hey there Noctem!

That does sound intensely complicated. I had a tricky router leased to me by an ISP that the router company told me I wasn't even allowed to have, so hopefully I can help.

First thing I'd like to check: when you say you can't sign in at all, do you get an error message? Or is it your standard 'can't connect to Xbox Live'?

Also, you've tried disconnecting everything else from the network, and that's an excellent place to start. Did you powercycle the modem/router/gateway in between disconnecting everything and running your connection test? Sometimes it needs a refresh.

I have heard of folks having some success if they ask ATT to temporarily slow their connection speed. If the issue is resolved by slowing the connection speed, they'll need to come out and verify the quality of your line.

However, that 8007-2EE2 message tells me you're experiencing an update failure. The updates do best when they're downloaded via ethernet connection to the router, from my experience, but if that's not possible for you, have you tried the manual update at http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info? That may resolve the issue altogether.

I hope that helps some. Please let me know if none of this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been an error message yet when my console fails to sign into Xbox Live, but an inconveient redirect to the xbox support site and a prompt to test the connection on the console.

I've disconnected and turned off networking for every wireless device in the house to no avail, as well as several attempts to restart my router.

I think soon I'll be trying to contact AT&T to try exactly that - slowing my connection speed. I'll get back to you if anything comes of it.

As far as the error message 80072ee2; Initially, I was able to update the console directly from Xbox Live. However, when it became impossible to do so, I managed to copy the update to a flash drive and extract it to my console that way. I received no notification that it failed or that there were any difficulties, but I would be more than happy to delete the update and try to download it from my USB again.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if any solution is found.

Sorry this didn't help.

ur hosting is worng, it need to be like mine link> http://i43.tinypic.com/2hzg43.jpg <link  if u set it like that u will be good to go with no problems, remove all those ports too. trust me, i have the same router as you have

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="deadeagleman"]

ur hosting is worng, it need to be like mine link> http://i43.tinypic.com/2hzg43.jpg <link  if u set it like that u will be good to go with no problems, remove all those ports too. trust me, i have the same router as you have

[/quote]

I too am not so lucky and have this same router as you guys. I have it like yours deadeagleman and until recently didn't have a problem at all. Now my NAT switches from Open to Moderate at random times without me making any changes to anything so I do the usual reset unplug cycle up/down power stuff and it will work but eventually it will sitch back to moderate. Got any ideas what's up with that and suggestions to keep it at Open?? Edit: Googled Open Nat and found this thread, sorry in advance if this has been answered.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's best to start a new topic of your own. This one is from back in february.

Sorry this didn't help.

well death inyou, i just leave it when it does that open to moderate, but sometime i undo it from the hosting and put it back, and resetting the modem doesnt fix it all the time, and jameser, there nothing wrong with someone using this page to save room on the fourm and asking for help, i havent look at all post until now, and im still like to help rather it on this page or not.

Sorry this didn't help.

ok i believe i got this figured out people!

the problem is that this att motorolla nvg510 router automatically gives your xbox a different  ip address every time you turn it on and this causes the problem because even if you set your router nat gaming for your xbox  ( which it says a certain ip address)  the next time you turn on your xbox it will have a different ip so these settings no longer apply cause it sees it as a different device.

the fix that worked for me was to manually set your ip address on your xbox itself so that it don't change ( you can look at your pc internet connection details and use the same gateway numbers and such )  then go to your router and set up the nat gaming xbox live option of the ip of your xbox that is turned on and connected to the router.  that worked for me hope it works for you!

Sorry this didn't help.

well ur wired dude, i run wireless.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got this router with ATT Uverse and have been fighting with it all night. Ive done all the port forwarding and opened up the ports, but for some reason my XBOX's IP is not showing up in the "Assign to Device" drop down tab. Do i need to be wired to the router for it to show up? None of my other devices seem to need to be wired. I'm running with an older system with a wifi adapter. Could that be making a difference?  Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings BIGMOON!

Before we begin, I would suggest that you start a new thread and detailing out your situation.

Include any troubleshooting steps you have tried so far.

To save yourself some time, please read: forums.xbox.com/.../1821897.aspx And post back in full detail (scroll down for the questions in bold), so that people trying to help, can have a better understanding of your situation.

TIA!

Sorry this didn't help.