My xbox's hard drive shows remaining memory but......

First off, when my 120 gb Hard drive is attached to my xbox 360 pro (old version with almost no problems till now) it is stuck at the splash screen (Xbox 360 screen with the "whoosh" sound) for about 2-3 minutes, when it finally loads it does not sign me into my profile/xbox live.. in fact it does not load any form of memory. When i check the memory tab in the settings menu, it says that I have 57.1 gb left ( out of 120, which is perfectly normal) but when I click on that hard drive and select to see what memory I have I has 0kb all over....in profiles, System, Game saves, and games. I have yet to test it with another hard drive or  test the hard drive on another xbox. But if any case if it were to be the Hard drive itself, how would I (if possible) recover the data of a few games even though the hard drive is unreadable? Also has anyone else encountered this issue?

This totally sucks since I finally just got my Gears of war 3 beta unlocks at 100% ribbons, Skins, Characters, and Executions and my medals at 95%.... : (

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try the HDD on another console, but it sounds as if your HDD has been corrupted. If this is the case, you will not be able to recover that save info. Please let us know when you get a chance to try the drive on another console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

how did it get corrupted in the first place? just usual console "fatigue?"

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to say. Have you tried clearing the cache to see if that helps? Also, if you don't have any data on the drive you're afraid of losing, you can try formatting the too. Instructions below:

Clear system cache
System Settings > Memory > Highlight HDD, Press (Y) > Clear System Cache > Yes

If you want to format the drive, select that option after pressing (Y) when following the steps above.

Sorry this didn't help.

it's depressing, but I had to format it.....goodbye 400 hours of Fallout 3, goodbye fun times in Mass Effect, and goodbye so hard to get Gears of war 3 beta unlocks and full completetion......Cest la Vie, and life goes on, I've actually made a backup of the CRC (corrupted memory) in my PC (isolated of course).. IF I EVER FIND A WAY TO UNCORRUPT THIS, microsoft better hire me for an IT tech.

Sorry this didn't help.