My Xbox won't connect to Xbox live with my hard drive in.

My Xbox started messing up about a week ago, it wouldn't load to the dashboard, was super slow & would freeze up. I took off the hard drive, 250gb (modern warfare two edition Xbox) and had to use a memory unit and it worked fine. Today I received my new 320gb hard drive from amazon.com and hooked it up to my Xbox and now it's telling me I need to accept the system update which is fine except when I hit accept it goes straight to the dashboard instead of installing. I tried to then go to the network settings, and test my connection, it says I have Internet but I need to update(yet again I hit accept) and then I get a "cannot connect to Xbox live" error message. It's not my connection. I've tried everything, is there something preventing my hard drive from working internally(inside my Xbox) ? Please help me, I cannot keep affording to replace things that might not even be broken.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi, if you go to the network settings on the console select your wired or wireless connection, configure network, additional settings, restore to factory defaults, power the console off and back on again, set up the connection again if you're using wireless, are you then able to update the console ?

-

If you still have the flash drive connected to the console try removing that before you power the console on.

Gaming, something all gamers do, no matter which system they use.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've done both of those. But thank you for responding. It's a sad sad day

Sorry this didn't help.

Is the hard drive showing in the storage section on your console ? Try removing and refitting the hard drive, you could also try updating the console using a usb flash drive or CD, the link below describes this process.

-

forums.xbox.com/.../166045.aspx

Gaming, something all gamers do, no matter which system they use.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi NoodiePie88,

The steps posted above are all great to try, so be sure to try them out. But in order to to be sure the hard drive is the issue, is it possible to test the hard drive on a different console and network to see if it allows a connection to Xbox Live?

If the hard drive does not allow a connection on multiple consoles and network and can not update, then you can try a exchange for the hard drive. But if the hard drive works on a different console and not yours then there might be an issue with how the console is reading the hard drive being attached to your console and that may lead to a repair unfortunately. But before we decide that, we really should try out some of those tests to see if we can narrow the issue down to the console specifically. Let us know if you can try that. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.