My Xbox Live Account was hacked earlier this year, now nothing will work

First off, a bit of back story. Earlier this year (Or late last year, the date itself is irrelevant) The Xbox Live account I'm currently posting from was hacked. The hackers managed to spend £50 on my account which was not refunded by Microsoft as apparently there was not enough evidence regarding the matter. I let that slide as I can see where they are coming from and bolstered my account security.

Fast-forward to now, I just bought the Age of Empires Online DLC via Steam but had an issue regarding the product key and after searching various forums discovered that the only way to fix this was to download the Games for Windows Live version of the game (Which is another problem in itself). Problem is, despite being free, whenever I try to 'purchase' the game it brings up a message saying a code has been sent to a phone number. I can only assume this number is that of the aforementioned hackers. 

I have no idea how to change this number or get around this problem at all bar creating a new account, which is way too much hassle. So long story short is there any way of changing this number? Or has Microsoft screwed me yet again?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

PS. Is there any free way of changing my gamertag back to what it was before I got hacked? My previous name was GFDK0pta if this helps in solving anything

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Would contact xbox via telephone about that problem, only way you'd be able to change gamertag name would to pay

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to account.live.com/.../manage

Select  Phone number and remove the number

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, only problem now is it's telling me the number  won't be removed til 17th August. Xbox Live Accounts: Where hacking an account is easier than buying a game with it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, BracingOsprey35. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation and I do apologize for the inconvenience. However, since this is a Games for Windows LIVE issue, I would advise you to post in this forum which is aimed specifically at Games for Windows LIVE account questions: forums.xbox.com/.../274.aspx. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.