My XBox Can't See My Wireless Network Anymore

Argggh. 

Yesterday, my Airport Express coughed and died. It took me a while to determine that it was the airport, not me not paying the Internet bill, nor the modem, nor the router, nor somebody smacking a telephone pole down the street. Just the Airport Express. 

So, I took it off and put on a spare. I had to recreate the network in the process, but I put the same network parameters back (as well as I can remember them). I then went about reconnecting the five different wireless devices in the house to the new network, which was no problem. Until...

... I got to my wireless XBox. It's one of the newer models with an internal wireless connecting device. It'll show me every one of my neighbor's wireless networks, but not mine. I go to the advanced options and enter the SSID and password manually and it won't connect. I try it again in case I misspelled something, but it won't connect. I connect my iPad to my desktop (both of which are communicating with the network just fine) so I can specifically look at the password and name settings and match them to what I'm trying to set up on the Xbox.  No connection.

I'm a little fuzzy on the benefits of the ideal network security, so I go back to the airport and try WEP Security, WPA Security, WPA2 Security, WEP 64 bit security, WEP 128 bit security.  All of these work fine for EVERY OTHER WIRELESS DEVICE IN THE HOUSE, but not for the XBox.  The only security I don't try is no security, for obvious reasons. On some of these other settings, it says the WEP pass is not correct, and I think it's referring to the fact that, in some of these settings, you are specifically supposed to use more than 8 characters, or precisely 13 characters. And I have matched those password needs (and again, they work for every other device around here) which makes me think that ... I dunno... some override regarding password security in the XBox is boycotting my attempt to even go out and find my network.

I have been considering attempting some sort of factory reset for the settings to just start over again and wonder if I'll lose important data in the process.  There are advanced settings that don't make any sense to me and I didn't need them when I put the XBox on a few months ago so I don't think that's the way to go.

I've run through problem solving support here in the XBox support with no success and now I'm just out of ideas.  I read the forums and most messages up here aren't specific enough or they point back to resources I've already tried. Anybody have a suggestion? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

Hi,

Ensure your Airport firmware is fully up to date, I assume it connects ok with no security configured on the Airport can you try that (as a test)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for a reply, Rep.

Airport firmware is up to date, but no, there's no connection even with security disabled. It doesn't scan the network, nor does it connect when I specify the SSID.

Sorry this didn't help.

Weird... so it can't even see your network (what about other networks, neighbours?) Do you have any mac address filtering enabled (prevents you connecting unless your mac address is on the list)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yah, it doesn't even see the network

Mac Address Filtering is not enabled. I had used that in the past, but

I can see neighbors' networks though can't even try connecting to those since they are all password protected. See what I mean? It's just defying any sort of logic at this point :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think its the case but I'll ask anyway, does the Apple use 5Ghz wireless or just 2.4Ghz? If it does 5Ghz and it is set to 5Ghz only it won't be able to connect

Sorry this didn't help.

Heya...

I searched around for information on this and did not find anything specifying one way or the other.  The only thing I can draw from this is that I replaced the old airport express with a new airport express and it worked fine before.

The only other thing I've played around with in the past few hours is the Radio mode of the airport express. Changing it to 802.11b/g, 802.11b and 802.11g. None of these setting changes have affected anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have a look through this just in case anything has been missed www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../111-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless is the SSID one word (no spaces) or two as that can cause problems as well

Sorry this didn't help.

whats the best frequency for the xbox?….i have a dual band router and its doing exactly the same

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am experiencing the exact same issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings MoltenNinjaBob!

Appreciate if you can start a new thread and detailing out your situation.

To save yourself some time, please read: forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx And post back in full detail (the bits in bold), so that we can get a better understanding of your situation.

Also, include any troubleshooting steps you have tried so far.

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.