My Xbox 360 Slim keep's shutting down on it's own

Every time I play anything on my Xbox it keep's shutting itself down about 30 minutes to an hour and the power cord light turn's red it happen's if the system is idle, playing a game anything is there anything I can do to fix the problem myself and I have tried different plug's as well and a different power cord.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Found this on GameSpot. Let me know if it helps! :)

Some of you may have encountered a red light on your xbox 360 (old model or slim) power bar. This usually means that the xbox is not receiving enough or is receiving too much power, voltage, or current. Alternatively, many sources will advise you to simply reconnect or check the connection between the consol and power brick, as well as brick and wall socket, or ensure that the block is adequately ventilated and not overheating.

However, all of these explanations will likely require you to either send in or replace this part. Recently, I found that my consol had this problem, and after trying every one of the above solutions, I found out what the problem was.

If your xbox is having the red-light power supply problem, simply try unplugging all accessories from the consol. this may include

-external memory including flash drives

-wired controllers

-play and charge cables (a faulty play and charge cable was my problem)

-other non xbox accessories, such as phone chargers

Once you have done so, unplug your power source and wait for the light to go out, then simply reconnect everything as you normally would. This error occurs because the consol provides power to the usb ports even when it is not on. You can see this by taking a powered-down iphone or ipod and plugging it in via a usb charger cable. Because of this, the power output from the brick can (not always, but on rare occasions) be effected, making it think that it is incapable of correctly supplying the consol. Please share this post if you or anyone that you know is experiencing this problem, so you can save them possibly shipping of there xbox or replacing the brick for no reason.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried what you said and it still let's me play for half an hour or so then power's right back down and show's the red light on the power brick again

Sorry this didn't help.

I found out the problem with it the system for some reason is making the power brick overheat I fixed this with a small desk fan and put the power brick on it so it work's just fine now thank's for the help

Sorry this didn't help.

How long have you had the XBOX? If cooling the power brick is not working, maybe you could get it replaced?

Scooby Doo

Sorry this didn't help.