My Xbox 360 Nightmare

Hey guys.  I've never posted to this forum, and I'm not usually one to vent via the internet.  But, the way Microsoft handled the repair process for my Xbox 360 after I got the dreaded red ring of death (RROD) has really changed the way I view them as a company.  Here's the abridged version of the process from start to finish.

I bought my Xbox 360 in October of 2008.  From the very first day I bought it up until today, I have taken phenomenal care of it.  I have a level of "electronics OCD" that my friends and past roommates find more than annoying.  Needless to say, my Xbox 360 was off-limits for most people to abuse in any way.

On April 12th of this year, I began playing a game on my Xbox 360, and got the red ring of death for the first time.

I immediately went to the Xbox support website and filled out all of the necessary information to repair my console.  I opted for Microsoft to mail me a shipping label rather than print one, because I did not have a home printer and the bosses at the office most likely wouldn't appreciate me printing it there.

I wrote in the comments section that my console was just six months out of warranty, and, as stated above, I have taken exceptional care of my console.  I asked Microsoft to contact me about a reduced payment.  Clearly this was overlooked, because as soon as I clicked "submit", the $100 was out of my account.  No big deal; I would just be happy knowing my console would be repaired soon.

A couple of weeks went by and I still had not received my shipping label.  I checked the mail everyday hoping to get it, but came up empty every time.

On April 29th, I attempted to contact Microsoft via the support website again.  I stated the issue using my confirmation number.  I never heard any type of response.

On May 5th, I called the support hotline, and spoke to a nice Indian man.    I watched the time-counter on my phone to see how long this would take.  I was on the phone with him for 40 minutes, on and off hold, before he told me there was nothing he could do.  He promised that I would receive a phone call within 24-48 hours from another representative.  I never received that call.

On May 9th, I called the support hotline again.  I asked to speak to a manager, and the Indian representative spent that 15 minute phone call explaining that all of the Microsoft managers were in a meeting.  A little hard to believe, but not much I could do about it.  I was promised a phone call back within two hours.  I never received that call either.

On May 10th, I called the support hotline again.  I asked to speak to a manager, and the Indian representative informed me that a manager couldn't do anything for me at this point because of the special circumstances regarding my case.  I was interrupted several times by the rude representative and told that I would be contacted on May 24th by a member of the "escalations department".  A bit of an oxymoron if you ask me.

After some pleading, I got through to a manager and was promised an e-mail within 24 hours with the shipping label.  I asked the manager if I would be re-imbursed since I had waited so long.  He told me I "would not be charged anything additional" meaning they were keeping my $100.

On May 11th, I received the e-mail with the shipping label, and on May 12th I shipped the console out to Microsoft.  My console was repaired and delivered back to me on June 1st.

During this whole process, I was shocked at the lack of professionalism exhibited by the support staff of Microsoft.  The fact that support has been out-sourced to some nice (for the most part), albeit difficult to understand, Indian people is one topic.  But, the fact that I had to reach out that many times, and still feel under-valued as a customer is unacceptable.  It should not have taken over seven weeks to repair my console.  There really is no excuse for that.

I have been loyal to Microsoft products for a long time.  But, as soon as my Xbox 360 has any more issues, I will be trashing it and buying a PS3.

-Ryan

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

well 2 things they do not do repair orders over email

nor do they give discounts except for doing it on the website 100dollars depending on the reigon yoiu live in which is 20bucks off

also

if at anypoint you do not receive the email or the printing label what you do is go to the support

then goto the account which you registered the xbox

check repair status

enter in the reference number and zip or postalcode

this pullsup your mailing label

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Almost every call I have ever received concerning questions about game consoles or any equipment concerning tech, those Indian people are almost always behind every call. It just doesn't make any sense.. and I'm not racist or bigoted in any sense of the word. I do feel your sympathy on that one. It is frustrating to talk to someone for help who is not quite up to par with how people speak.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is one thing I have to agree with you on, Microsoft needs to improve their phone support. If they say they are going to call you back they should have a 'sundown' rule like most businesses have. Meaning they should contact you, even if it is to just say 'sorry we haven't gotten to your issue but wanted to touch base and let you know we will be in touch with you within the next 24 hours' or something along those lines before the close of that days business.

Having to wait several days or even weeks after you were told a specific time line is just unacceptable and unprofessional. As for where the support comes from, in regards to region/country, I don't care so long as they know what they are talking about and are professional and courteous. (Us as customers should also be courteous as well when contacting them).

I don't agree however with anyone expecting a discount or a break if their warranty is just up. It doesn't matter if it is up by days or months, the warranty period should be held to its terms. Meaning if it is over, it is over. Just because a company has billions of dollars doesn't mean they should carry a lifetime warranty or make exceptions on a limited or extended warranty.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ngocphi I never e-mailed anyone about the repair.  I used the support site and entered my confirmation number.  I did not get the option to pull up a shipping label from my account.  That's why I ended up having to call.

@portalpwner I'm with you.  As I stated; the fact that an American company like Microsoft is sending jobs overseas is a completely different argument.  But, I think vocal clarity is important when you are trying to state your case.

@Temhotabot Agreed 100%.  I cannot imagine never getting back to a client of mine.  And to be clear, I didn't necessarily expect a discount.  However, many reputable electronics companies will unofficially wave a repair fee if the product in question is barely out of warranty.  I had a Canon camcorder repaired recently that was further out of warranty than my Xbox console was.  Companies like Microsoft have to look at the overall value a customer bringing them rather than the one-time fee they can charge for a bogus repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

I look at it this way. if a company has a set policy in regards to purchases, returns, exchanges, warranties, etc. I expect them to hold EVERYONE to those policies, no exceptions.

I see it happen in retail outlets all the time. Someone tries to return something that is waaaay out of the in store return window (90 days), the clerk tells them there is nothing that can be done, the customer starts causing a scene and before you know it some manager comes along and accepts the return, all the while making the clerk look the fool for following the policy. The very least that could happen is the manager could say the clerk is correct and that they will allow this ONE return, but almost 99% of the time that isn't even said. So now the customer(s) think the clerk doesn't know what he/she is talking about or doing.

Nice society we have today. No one wants to take responsibility for anything anymore. They expect someone else to foot the bill.

*Sorry, got off track there. Just bugs me when there are policies in place and people don't think they should apply to them.

Sorry this didn't help.

I sincerely apologize for your experience. I understand in the end your console repair went through, but it certainly sounds frustrating! If you ever have any further issues, please consider using our Forum team, or even @XboxSupport on Twitter. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

@Temhotabot I agree with you.  And rest assured, I certainly did not cause a scene or throw a hissy fit about my situation.  And I don't consider myself an exception in any way other than the fact that nothing I did (to my knowledge) caused my machine to malfunction.  Like I said; initially I was just going to be happy to get my console back.  It wasn't until after Microsoft repeatedly messed up that I felt the ball was in their court to reimburse me.  Please don't get the wrong idea about me; I was NOT looking for a hand-out.

@Miss Portia I appreciate the apology, but I'm not convinced the Forum team or your Twitter account could have helped me.

Sorry this didn't help.