My wired connection isn't working

I've been on xbox live for a few hours today and it was working fine, but now its saying i don't have an ethernet cable plugged in (even though it is, and works fine) also i'm using a laptop to connect. Does anyone know what could be wrong, i've looked at a bunch of trouble shooting guides, but i didn't find one describing my problem. Also is there any way that i can select a specific network to connect to, because i have multiple ones, but my xbox likes to connect to the one with all of the problems. Thanks for the help :) 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 57 Applies to:

When you run your connection test when your Ethernet Cable is plugged in it doesn't detect a Ethernet cord plugged in? If that's the case can you please try to directly connect the Ethernet cable from your XBOX 360 directly into your modem and try to run the connection test again to make sure that there isn't any sort of issue. If that doesn't work have you tried to reset the network settings on the XBOX 360? My XBOX > System Settings > Network Settings > Wired Network > Configure Network > Additional Settings > Restore To Factory Defaults. Turn off the console and turn it back on, see if the Ethernet cable is being detected now when you go to test your connection. Alternatively if you have a XBOX 360 S and have the ability to use Wireless try that out and see if your wireless connection lets you connect to XBOX Live and Test the connection. If that's the case and you can connect via wireless, I would suggest you contact XBOX Support as there may be an issue with your Ethernet port on the XBOX 360 and your console may need to be repaired.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It looks like XBox Live is down. I usually connect instantly and it keeps saying my XBox Live membership is invalid, when it isn't. I have another whole year on my account after Nov. Not sure what's going on with XBox Live right now.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Xander Zane - XBOX Live is not down at this point in time. If you'd like information on the status of the XBOX Live Servers and Services connected to XBOX Live please check this site > support.xbox.com/.../xbox-live-status. If you are getting a message telling you that your XBOX Live Membership is Invalid please try to delete your gamertag off of your XBOX 360 and recover it and that should fix the issue. Instructions on how to do so are located here > support.xbox.com/.../gamer-profile.

Sorry this didn't help.