My trouble with X Box Live

In August, at work I checked my e-mails on my break to find that whilst i'd been at work, earning my money, someone else had just spent it on 2x5000 & 1x1000 MSP.

Quite upset by this, and the fact the points were then removed from my account, I rang XBL customer services here in the UK. I was told that my account would be suspended whilst an investigation is launched. Ok so I like myonline gaming when I get time but I prefer being in control of my money so I agreed. I was also told at this time that the investigation could take up too 4 weeks, but would likely take no longer than 3.

And now here I am nearing November, my copy of BF3 which I preorder in June still wrapped as I'm still suspended. Numerous times I have been on the phone chasing the incident, however I seem to be told the case is being upgraded or elevated numerous times, and still not one e-mail or phone call.

Id also like to state that no, I have never been careless with my details, are for that matter even let someone else use the console.

As a dedicated customer since 360 launch I am disgraced with the service, especially when I'm always brushed off, and told different things by different customer service reps, one even said id be sent codes to access gold membership on another gamertag...another told me that was not possible in my situation.

After seeing the BBC's Watchdog programme broadcast there investigation into XBL's fault a few months ago I am now penning a letter to them regarding the incident and how I am non the wiser on what happened in August or when I will be able to access the Gold service I have paid for. But most of all, i'm left to feel that I have been punished for the fraudulent actions of another, and Microsoft do not seem to care.

I write this to see if any others have experienced this before, and if any know any more than I do.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This has been happening to thousands of people and possibly more, the investigations can go on for months from what I am reading on the forums.

My account was hijacked the 28th of October and I am only on day 3, but after reading a good chunk of the recent forum posts I have came to the conclusion that it might be a long time. I even read a thread where one guy had been waiting 3 months and still had not heard back from support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there HurricaneSean - We do apologize for the delay. Can you PM me the following info so we can investigate this? 

GT:
SR#:
Date you filed your claim with Phone Support:  

Sorry this didn't help.

Miss portia, my GT is my username, that is the only detail I will give on the forum. If you are in any position to move the progress of the investigation forward I'd recommend doing so as I am currently seeking advice from trading standards for the disgraceful service.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Sean! First of all, both Portia and I are official representatives of the Xbox LIVE Forum Support team. You can tell us apart by the "S" in our gamercard.

That said, we actually don't "progress" investigations, but we simply look into the status of them to relay back to the users. If you want me to take a look at this for you, I'll need you to PM me the following information. If you are not comfortable doing this, you can try calling phone support back to request the information as well. Thanks!

GT in question: 
SR#: 
Start date: 
Console ID:
Console serial number:
Link to this thread:  

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't don't your authenticity, however to stop your enforcement team ( which I've heard alot of negative feedback for ) claiming I have lacked personal security with my account details I'd prefer to contact customer support myself.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not an Xbox support staff member, but Miss Portia and Mister Gwyther both are.  

If you take a look at the "level" on the gamertags, you will notice that yours and mine are both numbers.  They indicate that we are regular Xbox user.  In both of their gamertags, you will notice that it is NOT a number, it's a letter "S".  That is only given by Xbox to their own Xbox Support staff.  If they are not Support staff, they will have a number there, like us.

Here's what the levels are:

• 0-9 = A regular user 
  • M = Forum Moderator
  • V = Microsoft MVP
  • X = Xbox staff member
  • S = Xbox Support Staff Member

You should also note that anybody who impersonates Xbox staff or Xbox Support staff will be given a permanent instant ban from Xbox Live.  They are NOT impersonating. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think he's worried that they are impersonators, but that Microsoft will use his providing the information on line against him in his pending investigation.  Given some of the posts here, it is not an unreasonable concern.

Sorry this didn't help.

another happy customer well done xbl fraud team.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not entirely sure where you guys got the information that we are investigating AGAINST the user filing the claim, but giving this information to Forum Support Staff has been approved by the UA team directly. That said, if you don't want to engage us on the forums, then you can certainly call phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us) directly. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hurricane, one thing you should note is while Xbox obviously encourages you to be in full control of your personal security, you should really only be truly vigilant with keeping your information secret.  

Xbox can't fault you, nor penalize you for maybe not adopting as aggressive of a personal security stance as they might wish.

It's the retailer that is ultimately responsible for the security of their system.  Allowing gamertags to be recovered actually needs to be done away with.  If you want to transport your gamertag, use a USB stick.  Any other problems with gamertags should be handed by phone support only.  

PS: I'm not staff, I'm just an interested party.

Sorry this didn't help.