My slim showed red lights (No corner lights, only the middle ones) until audio/video cable was unplugged

One random day I tried to start my 360, and it showed a red light in the middle of the button and showed me error code 82. After experimenting, I noticed it no longer had a red light when the VGA HD cable was unplugged from the console. So I figured it could be a cable break somewhere. Before wanting to try my littlebrother's VGA HD cable, I did basic troubleshooting, and after unplugging the VGA cable from my monitor, and plugging it back in, it launches just fine.

But this just confuses me even more and I'd like to know what the problem was, so I might be able to fix it in the future. If it had something to do with the VGA display cable not connecting with the monitor properly, how on Earth could the console show me an error code? I don't touch the cables either, so I couldn't have caused the display cable to dislodge from the port, in which case it shouldn't have been able to show the error code regardless..

What could be wrong that can be fixed by simply unplugging and replugging the VGA cable into the monitor? And why, if the connection between the monitor and console was at fault, did it still manage to show me the error code?

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2018 Views 61 Applies to:

My halo reach slim console started to do this. Except mine was on an hd tv using the composite cable. I contacted support and they told me it was an intermitten with the HDD. This didn't make since because its the video output that was messing up. Well it did it a couple of times then BAM!!!!! wouldn't even show the xbox logo just a black screen saying E 82 error please contact support. I had to send in my new xbox slim console for repair. I would suggest you contact support and get a repair going.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As suggested, it could be an intermittent connection in the cable. If it happens again, you might try the other VGA HD cable and see if that fixes the issue. If so, you might need a new cable! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

If you unplug any and all of your video audeo/HDMI cords from the xbox, then you may even end up getting a green light. But whats funny is that my E 82 error affect graphics only. it was working normally, except that some colors wouldn't show and there were these red lines showing vertical all over the screen.  For the 1st day I got the RDOD, I could trick it out of the error screen by starting it unplugged, then plugging in the video cord and I could even play my games, just without really seeing them. So ....yeah.

Sorry this didn't help.