My semi new 500 gig hdd is not working properly.

Hey, everyone.

My 360 died on me recently. I sent it in to be repaired. I got a replacement console. My 500 gig official HDD AND my WD external 1tb hdd stopped working properly. I'll elaborate.

Both were working fine with my previous console. They were working ok with the replacement for about a week. I actually thought I had been sent a faulty system, so I returned it, however, the replacement for the replacement  had the same problem.

The 500 gig will install games and saves, BUT, it will not play disc games. I will start the game, and the screen will go black. sometimes the game will start in about 3 minutes, and then freeze, or the screen will just stay black. When I try to move files from the 500 gig to the external, the files will corrupt.

I replaced the 500 gig with my old 250 gig (so glad I didn't sell that!) and it works just fine. the games will also play WITHOUT the hdd. It, apparently is the 500 gig, which I've had for less than a year. I spoke to someone from support, but he wasn't very helpful, as he didn't even know that we, as 360  owners are now able to use external drives. He suggested that I update my console by going to settings, system, Network, Wired/wireless and some kind of update prompt is supposed to pop up. The problem with that is, when I went online with my replacement console, I was forced to update--and both HDDs still failed. I'm hoping someone else here has a solution for this problem.

As for the external drive: when I plug it into my pc, I have to go to disc management and reformat. When I plug it back into my 360, it causes the external to have un allocated files.....

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hello,

From experience if the screen freezes or goes black I start removing anything attached via USB (portable drives etc) then restart the console.  Some items are just not compatible even if previously or they are getting ready to die.  Internal drives can also be the issue.

Try using only one drive at a time to see if you can narrow it to one.  Remove the other while you test each.

To me it sounds as if your 500GB is the problem.  If you have it installed internally - remove it and spray the connection with contact cleaner (aerosol can or use a q-tip with some cleaning alcohol), let dry and reinsert.  Small particles on the  connectors could be the issue.  If it persists in being the issue you may have to replace it.

If you think the external is a problem try formatting it on a computer and start again.  If the console still freezes or blacks out try turning off the console, unplug the item, turn it on again then plug in the drive.  See if this makes a difference.

The main concern is the loss of data though DLC and games is retrievable from online.  Your game saves may be best to be temporarily put onto a USB stick or the like.

I am also a strong believe in clearing the system cache in case something is glitched.  Instructions below:

1. Remove profile - SETTINGS page (far right from home page), select STORAGE, then find your profile and remove.

2. While in you hard drive under GAMES & APPS look for any red or yellow icons with incomplete or unknown.  Delete them.

3.Clear System Cache - SETTINGS page, select STORAGE and highlight a drive but don't select it.  Press Y and select Clear System Cache.  Agree when asked.

4. Be Patient - turn your console off for a full minute.  This assists in resetting the console.

5. Turn on the console and download your profile - it is the icon next to 'create a profile'.  Try again

Good luck & happy gaming

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Where did you purchase the 500gb drive?  Is it an official drive?  If things play fine without the drive inserted, it is probably the drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the responses. first thing I tried when this started was clearing the cache. No good. Yeah, the games played fine without the drive in. Unfortunately, the external drive seems to be corrupted as well. I reformat it on the pc, but when I stick it back into the console, it corrupts again. And yes, I've tried both drives singularly.

The 500 gig is official ms gear and I got it at best buy about 6 months ago. Does MS repair drives?

Sorry this didn't help.

Drives don't get repaired. I would try to delete all updates via LB + RB + X twice on the storage screen and then trying to reinstall your game.

Sorry this didn't help.