My NAT stays Strict whatever I do!

Hi!

By now, I have read, I guess 100 posts with no luck finding an answer to my problem with my NAT being Strict.

I have a Thomson TG789vn gateway and its uPnP is turned on. I have tried opening the ports manually, but no luck there either. I also have fiber optic, so it shouldn’t be a problem here. If it matters – I can also use uTorrent w/o any problems.

I have also read that I can restart my gateway, restart my Xbox, and the NAT should be fine and Open, and guess what – no luck (explanation further down). I figured my ISP could help me with this, but they had no support on NAT, so they couldn’t help me more than a mail they sent me with everything I’ve read a 100 times before.

I had faith one time. I did the Xbox Live Connection Test, and obviously it stated that my NAT was Strict. I then restarted my gateway and the Xbox, and started the test once again. This time it actually was Open – no Connection Error. Me happy. I started the game, and after 5 seconds of loading, I was thrown out of Xbox Live. I reconnected, but thought that ”aa, maybe I can take the test again to see what this was all about”, and believe it or not – the NAT was back to Strict. Me not that happy anymore.

So, I cannot play with my friends online, I can’t join a Live Party, neither can my friends join my Party when I invite them. Also, it takes unbelievably long time to load the game when I try to connect to an online server, compared to my friends. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, but I mention it anyways..

Hopefully one of you can be my savior in my missery!
Btw, I’m playing GTA V – and for you guys who’s playing it – you know it’s more fun to play with friends than with randoms.

Thank you so much!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 147 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi YM,

Which ports did you open manually? You want to have 53, 80, 88, 1863, & 3074 all open. 

To get a better idea of your network setup, please go ahead and reply to the bold info below, and we can work from there.  

What Country/State/Province do you live in? 
Modem brand & model number: 
Router brand & model number: 
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? 
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:
X:
Y:
Z:
ID:
L:
Q:
T:
D:
S:
C:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings YMCM!

Appreciate if you could tell us if the Xbox is directly connected with the Thomson TG789vn. If not, please detailing out how this set up looks like. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for answer!

Yes, I opened those exact ports.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Norway

Modem brand & model number: Thomson tg789vn

Router brand & model number: Thomson tg789vn

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Not wireless

Things you have tried: Opened ports, restarted gateway, restarted Xbox, turn uPnP on/off and then restarted Xbox

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type? Nat is Strict

Any Error Codes you encounter: No

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? NextGenTel.

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)

W: 0000 – 000B

X: 0000 – F001

Y: 20A8 – 48E0

Z: 0000 - 0000

ID: 0007 - 0002

L: 0015 – 10F0

Q: 8007 - 0435

T: Wired

D: 10.0.0.1/0.0.0.0

S:

C:

Additional values on my status report:

A: 10.0.0.14/255.255.255.0

G: 10.0.0.1

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings YMCM!

Appreciate if you could tell us if the Xbox is directly connected with the Thomson TG789vn. If not, please detailing out how this set up looks like. Also, detailing out how you've enabled UPnP on this device.

Could you also check if the TG789vn's firmware is up-to-date with the latest version.

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

It's directly connected with a cord. Regarding the UPnP, when I log into the gateway, in the main menu there are some categories or whatever; I press "Toolbox" - "Game and Application Sharing", I press "Configure", and it lets me choose if I want to turn the UPnP on or off.

I believe the firmware is up to date (copy/paste):

Information

Product Name: TG789vn

Serial Number: CP1032QT17H

Software Release: 8.4.3.H

It doesn't tell me much, but hopefully it helps you.

Also, on the Event Log, this is the error message I get:

"""

FIREWALL replay check (1 of 13):

Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 81.88.74.61

Dst ip: 89.10.224.230 Type:

Destination Unreachable Code: Port

Unreachable

"""

Hopefully that might be helpful too!

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you make sure Use Extendend Security is disabled. Access the Thomson Gateway GUI and browse to Game & Application Sharing and make sure Use Extended Security is unticked/disabled. Click Apply.

Go to Firewall settings and let us know which security level is displayed.

Do you have multiple xboxes connecting to the same router Internet connection?

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

The Extended Security is unticked/disabled, the security level is Standard and there is only one Xbox connected to the same router Internet connection.

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you restore the Xbox network settings to factory defaults.

On your console, browse to Xbox network settings. Select Configure Network and select the Additional Settings tab. Select Restore network settings to factory defaults. Turn off the Xbox.

Let's try and restore the Thomson gateway to factory defaults. I wanna make sure the NAT table has been completely flushed on this device. 

Unplug all cables from at the back of the Thomson gateway (except from the power supply). Locate the reset button at the side of this device. Press and hold for 10 seconds. Power off the TG for one minute. Note! Some ISP have disabled the function to perform a hardware reset for this device.

Connect the WAN cable and power on the TG and wait one minute for it to connect properly. Plug in the Ethernet cable from your computer to the TG and access the Thomson Gateway GUI. Reconfigure wireless settings manually. Make sure UPnP is enabled and Extended Security is disabled. Click Apply and reboot.

Turn on the Xbox and run a diagnostic test to Xbox LIVE (Test Xbox LIVE Connection) and let us know if it shows any error, related to your NAT.

Post back and let us know how that goes and we'll work from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I haven't got to try with my friend yet, because he is not at home, I will come back to you guys as soon as he gets home and online. Thanks so much for your help so far, hopefully it will work with your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Right on YMCM3!

Just get back to us whenever you're able to try it out at your friend's and we'll be standing by to hear from you. ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.