My gamertag

My name was changed randomly I didn't change it y was it changed and will I get a free name change

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Your gamertag was likely changed because it violated the code of conduct. It used to be that you would receive a free name change, but those days are gone. You now get a randomly generated name when you receive a forced name change. If you do not like the name you were given, you will have to pay the fee to change it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can post is this forum: forums.xbox.com/.../41.aspx to find out why you received a forced name change, but it is likely your name was offensive in some way and somebody reported it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi FaintKid9417625,

There can be 2 reasons or just 1 reason why and how your name was changed.

1. Your name broke the rules of the Code Of Conduct, Terms Of Service or Use.
  2. Someone like a friend, sibling, or anybody you gave account info to may have changed it.

I do not believe you will be given a "free" name change because this could or can be your fault. YOUR liable for YOUR account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your new Gamertag looks like a typical randomly-generated one after the Enforcement Team has changed an offensive Gamertag (as according to the Code of Conduct).

As Outsider says, you can post in that forum to get a definitive answer, but if this is the case there will be no free change and you will need to pay the fee in order to get a Gamertag you've chosen.

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Sorry this didn't help.

This is bull if Microsoft comes in and changes ur name they should give u a free name change to change it to something different because I could take this to court because they changed my name and with out my notice I had to call Xbox support to even see wht happend what's to say these so called efforcers can just go around randomly changing people they don't likes gamer tag this is complete bull now if they give me a free name change this will go away because they can't just go around changing peoples gamertags so so people have to go out and pay Microsoft money to change it I never had a problem with is I've had the gamer tag for almost a year and I've use it twice I had I changed it and I changed it back the first time I've had the gamer tag I had it for 1 year and no one said anything this is bs (give me a free name change)

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have a gamertag that is offensive, it was your choice to make it that way. You agreed to the code of conduct when you purchased your gold account. That serves as your only warning. It states very clearly not to make a gamertag that is offensive, and the enforcement action that will take place if you do. The random name you were given, IS your free name change. If you do not like it, you must pay to change it to something else. Those are the rules.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is that Code of Conduct, it's worth a read especially if you're going to be changing your Gamertag again:

www.xbox.com/.../CodeOfConduct

You need to agree to be bound by it when signing up to the Xbox Live service, so here is the passage relevant to you:

[quote]

If you create a Gamertag that has been determined to violate the Terms of Use or Code of Conduct, the system will automatically choose a new Gamertag for you.

[/quote]

The Enforcement Team is not resetting Gamertags at a whim; first people will report offensive names, they will review it and act only if it does in fact violate the Code of Conduct.

Essentially you did actually get a free change - to this FaintKid - you just had no control over what the new name was.

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Sorry this didn't help.