My gamertag is being forced to change? 'Joseph Kony'

Basically, I made this account about two weeks ago after watching a very powerful, professional documentary about troubles in Uganda. The gamertag is 'Joseph Kony'. I had the mindset when making this gamertag to help spread the awareness of what Joseph has done/and what he is doing in Uganda. If anything, this gamertag helps to spread awareness and I did not make this gamertag for entertainment purposes. Currently I'm left with no access to xbox live on my console due to this account not being allowed to play until I change my gamertag.

I think this enforcement of change is quite harsh and I'm not too happy about changing my gamertag because currently there is no decent gamertags I would be happy using on xbox live. I was told to post this in the forum by someone I spoke to over the phone from Microsoft. I'm wondering if I could speak to anyone who has authority in Microsoft to clear up some questions I have.

Thanks, Dave

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I think it's in poor taste.

It's like someone making a Osama Bin Laden named gamertag and avatar and doing nothing but play Modern Warfare/Call of Duty type games and doing nothing in  those games but suicide bombing type things.

I don't think you making the gamertag is gonna spread anything other than dark humor on the subject.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For an official answer you would need to post here - forums.xbox.com/.../41.aspx

However, the tag does violate this part of the code of conduct: Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may be considered inappropriate.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Smwutches Thanks for that.

Sorry this didn't help.

dog microsoft out and switch to ps3. my GT was banned for lif for it being KONY 4PRESIDN3T and was referring to Uganda struggles and putting his name out since everything else related to him was taken. but ***, here i go getting banned permanantly and i will be sure to never purchase live or anything ever again. lets start a boycott to these fools and show them we have the freedom to make people aware of world events

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes because people will see the GT "KONY 4PRESIDN3T" and immediately think "that man is drawing attention to the horrible crimes of Joseph Kony" rather that "dear god that man approves of Joseph Kony and his horrible crimes". 

Seriously Kony's a stain on the world and I hope he has an unfortunate accident involving a bayonet in the near future. Why anyone would want to glorify or joke about scum like him I don't know.  

Sorry this didn't help.

And for the benefit of anyone who doesn't read the suspension forum - forums.xbox.com/.../223761.aspx - 12 FNCs for Mr Idiot above me (Onshore). 12!

Sorry this didn't help.

Lol 11 too many imo.  Some kids need to grow up.

Sorry this didn't help.