My Gamer tag has been stolen

I have had this gamer tag since 2003.  Almost 3 months ago this started.  I am very, very frustrated.

I got a call from the hacker claiming to be from Microsoft.  I immediately called XBOX Live support and discovered he had opened an SR against my account.  After some confusion they determined it was me.  I immediately changed my secrets and passwords and even removed my credit cards from the account.  The hacker knew my name and phone number even though neither are associated with the gamer tag.

The account was suspended and I waited two weeks for the investigation to complete.  I discovered it had been done a few days earlier, but they sent mail to the attacker not me.  I recovered by account and shortly after that I discovered my gamer tag has been changed.  I assume this happened in the window from when Microsoft told the hacker my account was open and when I recovered it.  The hacker even sent me a friend request from my gamer tag to the new one.  The account that I recovered was mine -- all my DLC, points and such were there.  Everything but my real gamer tag.

I called XBOX Live, waited 3 weeks and got mail saying there had been no Unauthorized Access.    After many calls and emails to the investigation team they tell me that they won't tell me what they did but that there was no Unauthorized Access (without telling me what Unauthorized Access means).  I did get a supervisor on the phone on the XBOX Live side who told me that the only way to change a gamer tag was paying the 800 points and that wasn't done on my account and that they would not consider any other evidence.

I have had this account for a long time.  I have emails from Microsoft telling me about wonder offers addressed to my original gamer tag.

I have a dead (red rings) XBOX with a drive on it from about a year ago that should have my original gamer tag.

The admin name on my current XBOX is the original tag.

I can supply the names of about 50 people that saw my name changed.

When all the initial confusion started we looked things up by my gamer tag and they did that with the original name.

So, despite asking questions about if this can be escalated, if they want my old hard drive to see what my tag was, by offering them emails sent to me using my old gamer tag, they treat me like I'm wrong.

The supervisor who repeated told me "we investigated this twice and saw no purchase of the gamer tag switch so it didn't happen" suggested I post here but he suggested it was a waste of time.

So, is there anyway I can get someone's attention to look at what happened?  If there is a way to steal gamer tags without paying the 800 points don't you think I'm doing Microsoft a favor by making them aware?

Is there anyone out there at Microsoft listening?  If the answer is "there isn't much we can do" can't someone at least acknowledge that it was my tag?

*heavy sigh*

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

An Xbox LIVE Account cannot be hacked but you can be phished. Stay away from scams such as free Microsoft Points and other things of that nature. support.xbox.com/.../account-security.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Without getting into the details of hacked versus phished I know my gamer tag was changed and Microsoft has convinced me that it was done without spending Microsoft points.  How does one get their attention to look into this?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way a GT gets changed without you paying for it is if the Enforcers deemed your GT inappropriate and issued a FNC (forced name change). If you feel that someone has/had unauthorized access to your account, please call phone support (support.xbox.com/.../contact-us.aspx) and ask to open an Unauthorized Access claim.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I'll call them again, but as I stated I have contacted them repeatedly.

They suggested I post here.

Again, I have proof that my gamer tag has been changed.  Is there really no way to get someone to look at this?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am sitting on the phone calling XBOX Live support.  While doing that I wonder if Mister Gwyther read what I originally posted.  I spoke of having had my Gamer Tag for many years and the trail that has been left showing that my original gamer tag is not the one that I have today.  I find it hard to believe that nobody wants to look at this trail.  I also find it hard to believe that there is no internal audit trails that Microsoft can look at that would confirm that my gamer tag was the same for years and years until it was changed 1-2 months ago.

I ask for help about how to escalate this to someone who could really look at it and I get a message saying Gamer Tags can't be changed and that I should open an Unauthorized Access Claim.  Actually, my attacker did open and Unauthorized Access claim on my account and the investigation team emailed him, not me, saying there had not been any.  When I tried to recover my account after the suspension is when my gamer tag had been changed.  

The response to my posting doesn't seem to indicate that my posting was read.  That is, it fails a simple Turing test.

So, I'll ask again, how do I get someone's attention at Microsoft to look at the evidence that my Gamer Tag has been stolen?

Sorry this didn't help.

Similiar thing happened to me. Currently on day 21 of waiting.

forums.xbox.com/.../57116.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

So, after over 3  months the issue was resolved and I have my gamer tag back.  To any body else that this can't happen, such as the official rep that responded to my initial post with "The only way a GT gets changed without you paying for it is if the Enforcers deemed your GT inappropriate and issued a FNC (forced name change). " tell them it isn't true.  I must have made over 30 calls and spent 20 hours on the phone but I finally found someone that understood what I was talking about.   And they changed my tag back.  They even did it without me paying for it and without the name being inappropriate.

The good news is that there are people at Microsoft who can listen to reason and do the right thing.  You just have to be persistent to find them.

Problem solved, case closed

:)

Sorry this didn't help.