My DLC won't work or downlaod & License transfer Q & A

Just got yourself a new Xbox? Looking to transfer your licenses for any content you have purchased in the past? Are you receiving an error messages when trying to download content from xbox.com to your console? Let’s see if we can help you out some.

Scenario 1

I just bought a new Console. I transferred over all my data from my original console including all my save files, Gamer Pictures, themes, and  DLC’s for all of my games. Problem is they won’t work off line, or the other accounts on my console can’t use the DLC.

Q: Do I need to perform a license transfer? Why would I need to do this? Is there any restrictions I need to know about.

A: Yes, you will need to perform a license transfer if you have bought a new console. Once all your data is transferred over via the  Xbox 360 Transfer Kit or a USB device you will have to perform the License Transfer. The License Transfer Process can be launched right here. The reason you need to transfer licenses is because all the licenses are currently active on your original console. Therefore, to legally be able to play any Marketplace items on your 360 online you will need to transfer your licenses using the tool. Please keep in mind this license transfer can only be used once every 121 days.

Scenario 2

I just got my console back from the repair warehouse. I plugged everything in and it seems all my downloaded items are already on the Xbox they sent back to me.

Q: Do I need to perform a license transfer?

A: No license transfer is needed because the people who repaired your old Xbox will have already transferred over your licenses from your old Xbox to your new Xbox.

Q: When they transferred does that mean I am no longer allowed to transfer my license for the 121 day waiting period?

A: When they transferred your licenses at the factory, that did not count towards your migration waiting time. You ARE allowed a license transfer if you decide to get a new Xbox in the near future. 

Scenario 3

I just got my console back from repair. When browsing through the Marketplace on Xbox.com, I sent an item to be downloaded on my console to automatically start downloading when I return home. Upon turning on the console I go to active downloads and notice the item is not downloading automatically and says, “Assigned to other console”.

After NXE launched a few years ago, it made whatever console you first downloaded Marketplace items onto your main console. This causes this message for people who have more than one Xbox, or just received a new Xbox from the repair warehouse.

Q: What does this mean? Can I make it so that it is assigned to my new console automatically?

A: It simply means that the content you sent via the web onto your console got sent to your original console as stated above in the Reasoning section. To fix the issue, go to the Xbox Live Marketplace, and send something to your console queue. The follow the next steps to fix the issue.

1. Sign in to your new console, or if you have more than two consoles, the one you wish to make your main console.
  2. Go to your active downloads. To do this, press the “Guide Button”, then “Marketplace”, then “Active Downloads”.
  3. Select the item and press “A”
  4. Choose the second option, “Download all items”. Choosing this method makes this console your new main console and the problem should cease.

Please be aware that movie and TV show licenses WILL NOT transfer over due to licensing restrictions. Please make sure you watch them before you transfer the licenses if you still wish to view them.

Still have questions?? Here is a FAQ on License Transfers for a bit more detail.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 75 Applies to:

Very nice.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

This will be helpful when i get my new console on Nov 8th :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Not a problem. I had trouble when my son got his new Xbox last year. Figured it might help a few folks out.

Sorry this didn't help.