My Disc Tray Wont Stay Shut Even When Its Off

So i just recently finished playing xbox live so i turned off my console (Xbox 360 Slim) and left it there for about 30 mins. i came back, turned it on to play again and the power light started to flash (as if the disc tray is opening/closing) and automatically opens the tray. on the screen it says opening(tray) but its just sitting there opened. when you close it it says closing then just goes back to opening. the lights dont stop flashing until the xbox is turned off. everytime i press the eject button it closes then opens after 1 second. even when i turn it off the disc tray stays open. i cant play any games on my favorite console because the tray wont stay closed. everything else works fine, i can play downloaded games, just not discs. ive already tried the disc tray support pages on xbox.com/support but that only told me to get a console repair.

i really dont want to get a console repair until i try EVERYTHING...

soo, does anyone know whats happening? and/or can you help in anyway..?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 263 Applies to:

That is very UNUSUAL for that to happen maybe the turn key is stuck causing it to keep reopening or there is something wrong with the sensor button thats making it stick there could be alot of problems in that case.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the EXACT same thing happening to me AFTER the dashboard update. did you ever resolve this without sending your console for repair? i unfortunately cannot send mine for repair as i have an NTSC xbox and i live in a PAL region, in the middle east. everything was fine until the damn update. ugh. i was even a beta tester for the dashboard and i never experienced issues until the update went official. how's that for some irony.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is an unusual issue. Have you tried completely unplging the unit from the back and plugingit back in to complety let the system power off.I know it sounds simple but it may help. Also, with no disc in the system using thr controller open, then close the tray with ten second delays between commands to "reset" the system.

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the same prob jus yesterday. i placed MW3 in and it loaded on the dashboard normal as ever. Then i changed my mind and decided to join my friend toplay FIFA12 and as soon as i closed the tray it started happening. but seeing that the warranty is so screwed up and on top of that the shipping time that i hav to face would be ridiculous seeing that i live in the caribbean i may not hav a choice but to attempt self repair from the advice i got.

1.On the underside you see the ridges for the cog and on the otherside you will see a raised line that ends with a slight slope and has a small raised piece going sidewards. it was this in mine that was broken and as i was lying backwards we discovered that it was stopping the laser from fully locking into position and therefore the drive kept opening again. bit of glue to hold it back in place and were all sorted. simple but its worth checking before you go through all the trouble we did of opening everything up.

2.Pull the power cable from the back to power off with the tray open

Remove the faceplate to give you a better view inside the tray

Get some tweezers and look right towards the middle left inside the tray.

There's a big gear and a little gear with a band around them

Use your tweezers to pull the band off and out

Wash the band in lukewarm water and soap

Dry and replace, enjoy.

Others sound like the magnet may have magnetized to the top of the tray. Sorry, can't get to that without voiding the warranty, but it's an easy fix if you'd rather not pay $100.

Another problem someone seems to be having might be the drive gear wearing out. Also requires you to void the warranty, but nothing  too complex to fix.

I haven't tried these as yet so lemme know if it works thanx.

and if i try and it does i'll post again

Sorry this didn't help.

If you think it's a update problem, try clearing the system cache. If I remember right it should be in system > storage

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay so I just had the SAME EXACT problem, and what I did after trying to unplug it and stuff is I stood it up so it is standing tall and not laying down. I just recently switched it to laying down from standing up but I think meow it has to stay up. And it is reading my disks and staying shut this time! I hope you have figured out your problem mah dude!

Sorry this didn't help.

This is happening to me right now!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, Spector Fang! This thread is kind of old. If the suggestions in here don't seem to work for you, please post up a new thread detailing your issue so that we can get you some individualized help.

Sorry this didn't help.