My Data Problem

Hey guys.

-

So I got a new 4GB Xbox 360 a week or so ago because my current 360 is starting to age a little bit (so I might need a replacement soon) and because I didn't want to have to transport my 360 back and forth between home and school.  However, what I did not realize was that the new 360s don't have the same, large hard drives that the old models do.  Before, I was planning on just transporting my 250 GB hard drive back and forth, but now that isn't possible.  So what I am trying to figure out is how to work through the logistics of this situation so that I can use either Xbox and still have all my data (and gamertag, but that can be recovered).

-

I'm thinking the best way is to buy another 250 GB hard drive for the new Xbox and then copy all my data from the old hard drive onto a USB and move the copies to the new hard drive, so that I basically have two of the same hard drive--just adapted for the Xbox I'm on.  Then I could just recover my gamertag and get going.  I can't use the transfer kit because that would wipe my old hard drive, and I still want the data there.

-

However, that brings a couple complications.  The largest USB I own is a 4 GB which can't move all my data in one go.  I do have a 500 GB external hard drive that I use to back up my computer, though; would it be okay to partition 16 GB of that for 360 data?  If so, how would I go about doing that, and would I be able to use those 16 GB for other things later, or would the partition be irreversible?  Also, would I be able to do that without erasing the data from the computer?

-

Also, what's this "Transfer Content License" or something of that nature?  I can't have two hard drives licensed for my content, can I?  Would I need to do this to be able to use my data on the new Xbox?

-

Finally, I have heard that the 360 fall update is coming on December 6th, and that some "Cloud" system is coming into play.  It sounds like what this does is stores my data on a network or whatever so that I don't even need to worry about having a hard drive.  Is this what it does, and would this solve my problem?

-

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks guys!

-

tl;dr version:  I have two Xbox 360s now, but one has the new hard drive, and one has the old.  How can I get it so that my data is stored and accessible on both 360s?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

We can't really talk about what's in the update on the forums, but Microsoft did announce the Cloud saves which would allow you to put your game saves in the cloud and access them from multiple systems. It should be included in the update tomorrow and be exactly what you're looking for.

If you're still interested in using your external hard drive, it's as easy as plugging it into your console and telling it to format however much space you want to set aside for the console, up to 16GB. And it's not irreversible. If you want to use that 16GB for your PC again someday, you just need to reformat the hard drive and you're good to go. Just make sure to back up everything that is on your external hard drive before you do the formatting, or you could potentially have it all erased.

Oh okay my bad, I don't come to the forums to discuss things not related to Call of Duty often, my bad.

-

Thank you very much for the information!  I might have try the external hard drive if the update tomorrow doesn't work as well as I hope.  Your input is really appreciated.

-

EDIT:  Just noticed your sig.  Are you from St. Louis, by any chance?

I was just letting you know that you wouldn't get much info here about what's for sure coming in the update since the posts usually get deleted. I wasn't saying you did anything wrong.

And yes I am from STL. I'm actually just across the river in Collinsville, IL.

Ah okay cool, thanks.

Nice man, I'm from StL too!  Other side, but still cool.  I'm out of state for college right now, though.

***.com

Alright, quick question.

-

Cloud apparently doesn't support the Theater videos I have from MW3 and whatnot, so I'm going to hopefully transport those with a 4 GB USB (hopefully that'll support them, or hopefully they'll just automatically be downloaded since I'll be signed in with my account... lots of hoping haha).

-

How would I go about reformatting the USB to use as a normal, non-Xbox USB once I'm done using it to transport my information?  Thanks.

Yeah the cloud is for game saves only. Hopefully those videos are saved on the Call of Duty servers as well. To reformat your USB drive, just plug it into your computer, go to the My Computer (assuming your on Windows), highlight your USB drive and click Format. Then you can just reformat it to FAT or FAT32 and it'll be ready to use on a PC again.