My Controller Freezes

Hey,

I've been having an issue with both of my controllers since the last update. I have checked batteries, held the controller in different places, made sure it's always in line with my Xbox, changed the position of my Xbox, and used the controllers on different consoles just the other week without any problems. When I'm in the middle of a game, the controller just stops responding. Completely. I can't press start, or open the Xbox Menu. It's completely frozen, but the P1 Light on my controller is still on and my Xbox registers it as connected. However if I disconnect it, it will not reconnect and my console ALWAYS keeps the controller as connected into P1 and I cannot even connect another controller in it's place. When this happens, the game keeps my character doing the same thing that I was doing when the controller froze and it doesn't say my controller has D/C or anything.

I have an Xbox 360 Slim 250GB, 2 Genuine Wireless Microsoft controllers that came with purchase and at the times this has happened were Saints Row 3 (Twice, exact same mission and part.), The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Borderlands, Dead Island, Fable 3, Minecraft, and Left 4 Dead 2.

This only started occurring after the last 2 updates, or even the last one. But it has only happened recently and only to my console.

Thank-you for your time, and I hope you can help me. :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2,335 Applies to:

This sounds more like a console freeze issue and less like a controller issue. I think your controller not working is just a symptom of a larger issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@Aqualung Well, if he/she said it did it on another console, then it must not be a console problem they have. My suggestion would to try a friends controller on your console to see if that works.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried clearing my cache like Spazpol said, worked for a bit, but has recently started doing it again. I was playing Skyrim at the time. The controller and the console were connected but it was frozen, nothing I pressed work and if I remove the battery pack and put it back in it won't reconnect to the console. The only way I can fix it is if I turn the console off and then back on again. :( My console is out of warranty and I doubt I could afford to get it fixed or buy a new one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Krevy,

Sorry to hear you're having similar issues.

As this thread is over a year old, if none of the suggestions helped resolve your issue, please go ahead and create a new thread detailing your situation along with any error codes/messages you may see and the troubleshooting steps that you've taken and we'd be happy to provide support for your issue. 

Sorry this didn't help.

This same issue is happening to me. I don't think the controller is the issue. I think something is wrong with the console. It is happening to a few other people too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, MightyMidget944! Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your controller. Does re-attaching the battery pack fix the issue? In addition, does power cycling the consoles fix the issue and do you have a headset attached?

If you have a play and charge cable, try using it to connect the controller to the console and let me know if it binds correctly.

Thanks! Standing by for your response. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Mighty! Does this only happen with the one controller? Do you have more you can try with? How about borrowing another controller and trying that out. Also, could you try your controller on another console to see if you get the same results? Let us know how that goes, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Try clearing your system cache first.  How you do that is:

support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache

Once you do that, also re-"pair" the controller to the xbox (press the connect button on controller, and also on the console.  Having done that, does the problem still persist?

Sorry this didn't help.

My console isn't freezing. The screen has not frozen, my games will continue to play as if nothing has happened. It's just my controller will no longer reconnect until I turn off the console and leave it for a bit. When the controller freezes, the 1P light is still on with the xbox AND the controller, I just can't move or do a thing. It doesn't pause and say my controller has disconnected either. I can try reconnecting it, but it won't reconnect at all. I take the battery out of the controller, but the light just goes around in circles if I put the battery pack in and turn the controller on again. I press the sync button on the xbox and that syncs to the controller, but the controller doesn't sync to it. The light on the controller just keeps going around and around and I still can't use it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for following up, MightyMidget944. From your description it seems as though your console is freezing and not the controllers. It sounds like your console will need a repair. However, just to make sure can you please run through this support troubleshooter titled "Screen Freeze Solution" and let me know if that helps resolve the issue? Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.