My console won't turn off.

Hello.

So, for the past day or so my Xbox refuses to turn off unless I pull the power chord out. As soon as I hit the power button, it shuts down for a couple seconds then powers right back up again. What's strange is when it does power up by itself, it automatically connects to "Player 1" even though my wireless controller is not connected at all. So when I do try to turn my controller on, i'm stuck on "Player 2" and can't get the green light to turn off for the "Player 1" spot. I'm thinking maybe it could be an interference issue of some sort? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Actually, I don't think there is anything that needs to be "fixed", it's working fine.  It is actually convenient, I don't have to worry about turning the console off and on and disturbing an active download.......Wow!  Microsoft are like total futuristic visionaries man!  They always think of everything.  Aaaaaah!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok!  I have the answer and seeing that your conversation was a long time ago, I assume everyone already is aware unless "you" just googled or Xbox live searched and found this conversation somewhere in the distant future....sweeet!  Anyway, the reason the console isn't shutting down is because it has an active download.  Never noticed it before, strange.  So, easy fix!...... let it finish downloading and voila!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue with my old style 360 (large gray hard drive).  It isn't a controller snyc problem.  The controller works correctly and starts the shut down and the lights shut off but the xbox continues to purr and then the green power button comes back on after several seconds and begins to blink.  Seriously, I can't think of a less bothersome problem and am actually thankful it isn't something worse but it can become a worse situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try covering up the IR sensor.

Sorry this didn't help.

is your xbox, white (fat n big) or slim (new skinny ones) ? if you got the white one, u might have to pull off the faceplate and see what the problem is, or if you got the slim, how long did u haveit ?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing I can think of is try Syncing your controller(press the Sync button located to the right of the memory card slots on the older consoles, not sure if its in a different place on the slims if that is what you have) and then the button on the top of the controller to see if that clears the problem up.  There might be a device that is interfering with the communication between the controller and the Xbox as well, if you added a new piece of electronics recently(after the problem started) try turning that off and see if that makes a difference.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, I've only got that one controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

are you sure you dont have another controller in a drawer that has the guide button pressed down?

Sorry this didn't help.