My Console won't get Past the Splash Screen

I have an XBox 360 S, and both yesterday and today when I turn the device on, the splash screen loads and just sits there. I cannot play any games or load the dash. I have tried clearing "something" by holding the sync button when booting the device, but to no avail. I smashed my old xbox 360 with a hammer after it quit working (I had it for 3 years and made numerous self-repairs). I've had this XBox 360 S for less than a year and it's already giving me problems. What can I do about this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

Pull the HDD and any USB MUs you have attached. See if it starts up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As far as I know, I can't even get to the HDD to pull it without opening up the console and voiding the warranty. This is the XBox 360 S, so there's no harddrive on the side - it's internal.

Sorry this didn't help.

The 360 S HDD is hidden behind a trap door on the right side/bottom of the console.

Page 7 of the manual.

Sorry this didn't help.

I should have specified first: I have an XBox 360 S with no external hard drive; just the internal 4 GB one. I spoke with XBox support on the phone and the technician believes that the internal hard drive is no longer responding. I'll be sending it in for repairs.

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't have an internal HDD on a 4GB 360 S. There's a USB-connected 4GB USB flash drive attached to a USB header on the motherboard.

Yeah, that's a big downside to the 4GB console. If the internal flash goes, there's no non-warranty-voiding way to remove it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm wondering why it went bad in the first place. I've had the XBox 360 S for ~6 months. I wouldn't expect a newly-designed system to be so flawed as to break down after 6 months of use. But at least Microsoft is going to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem with any piece of tech comes from the numerous components that are required to run the machine and if any one of them should fail, the machine quits working.  This could come from a number of things such as flawed materials, a miscalibration due to machine manufacting errors or those of the designer, or a laser misalighnment among NUMEROUS other things.  I have a hard time completely calling a system flawed unless massive numbers of people start reporting an issue like the RROD issues that plagued the 360 during its initial launch and the subsequent years forcing Microsoft to extend its warantee to 3 years for RROD errors.

Sorry this didn't help.