My console keeps turning itself ON

My Xbox S model with Kinect has suddenly begun turning itself on for no apparent reason. It is connected to a home entertainment system and the only thing that has happened recently was a download for the ESPN service. Anyone else noticing this? Any solutions other than having to turn it on and off from a power strip or something?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I've found the S models button is extremely sensitive and only requires a brush to open the disc drive. I've had to move mine since my dogs would walk past it, brush the button with their tail and turn my console off. Make sure there is nothing in front of the unit that would potentially touch the power button.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree with Liquid5tranger, the power button is really sensitive, even walking past it and causing any movement or shaking can cause it to turn on. If you have a very stable table or maybe something very sturdy that does not vibrate or move, shake etc. when someone walks by, put the Xbox on it. Also, some multimedia remotes can have the same frequencies as the 360 controller which can turn the Xbox on. In fact, that's what I use when I'm lazy and feel like watching a movie.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can also check your controller, I had a similar problem caused by a small piece of dust sticking in the center button causing it to stay pressed down. After using canned air to blow it out never happened again.

Sorry this didn't help.