My console is overheating and freezing

Over the past few months, my console has been progressively getting hotter quicker. The first time i noticed how hot it was, i had been playing skyrim for about 4 hours. When i went to take the game out and put in a dvd i noticed a lot of heat radiating off the console. I put my hand on the fan vent and it was so hot that it felt capable of burning me... As time has passed, It only takes about 1 hour of gameplay to get to this level of heat. It got to the point where, if i didn't have a fan blowing directly on the console, any extended amount of play made the game freeze.

A little while after i started noticing the excess heat, my console started freezing mid-game. As the heat started building more quickly, the game started freezing sooner. The first few times it froze, i was able to just turn off the console and then turn it back on and it all worked fine. About the 5th time it froze, when i went to turn it off it made the 'shutting down' noise, but it stayed on and the picture was still frozen. I had to touch the power button 3 times before it turned off. It has done this one other time as well.

I have the halo reach edition xbox elite

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 594 Applies to:

Hey there B4ND3R!  My apologies regarding the over heating issues your having.  Could you go head and follow these steps in this article here (solutions.xbox.com/.../whichconsoleenvironment.aspx) and let us know if that helps?  Thanks! :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried the questionnaire... the site sent me to "page not found" 3 times after the first question. When i did finally get to the second question, it was asking how many red lights are on.  In my case, there have been no red lights coming on. That wasn't one of the options and i, therefore, could not continue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Extreme heat from the top vent is normal. My Reach console ran around 135F at the exhaust.

Is the fan blowing, or is there virtualy no air movement from the top of the console? Try shining a light in there while powering on the console to verify the fan starts spinning.

Also, are you playing games from a HDD install, or running from the optical disc itself? If the latter, try installing the game to HDD.

Sorry this didn't help.

I knew that you didn't have a red light error but those trouble shooting steps are the same trouble shooting steps to take on an over heating console.  You will have to get your console repaired if your console is in a well ventilated area and it is still causing this issue with the over heating and freezing.

You may want to try re-positioning your console to another place to see if that help, and if it doesn't then you will need to set up a repair using the service center at http://myservice.xbox.com/ or contacting phone support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX (US & Canada)  Thanks! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

the fan is blowing, but not very hard. Does installing it really do that much for the game as far as speeding up load times and such? i haven't installed any games on the console as of yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey B4ND, there is a noticeable difference for load times for most games. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

When i get a few hours down time, i'll make sure to test it. I'll be back with results.

Sorry this didn't help.