My console freezes at white Xbox 360 logo start up screen

I have a Xbox 360 S with 4gb flash memory, it was purchased in November 2011 and is freezing every time I power it up and does not go into the dashboard.  I've followed steps on xbox.com/support but nothing has worked.  What happened to my Xbox 360 S?  I thought this model was supposed to be better than the earlier Xbox 360 models...

Hey there Killshot! I'm sorry to hear about your freezing issue. Just for me to start with, can you outline what steps you have already tried? Let us know, thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Xbox.com support website told me to check the hard drive (although there is no hard drive, just the 4GB flash memory), make sure the console was placed in a well ventilated area (it's on my dresser with nothing above or below it and laying horizontal), clear the system cache (well I simply can't because it freezes before even loading the dashboard).  After talking to Xbox.com support techs they prompted me to send it in for repair.  I will send it in tomorrow but I think it's [REMOVED - LANGUAGE] that I got the thing brand new for Christmas and now Microsoft wants to send me a refurbished console.  Regardless, none of the Xbox.com support diagnostics or solutions worked, epic fail!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I honestly think it sounds like you've been really unlucky and have acquired a faulty console.

If I was to guess, I would suggest faulty internal hardware.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again Killshot! Thanks for your responses here, and I'm sorry that you are having frustration with this process. In your post, you say that you got this console for Christmas, correct? If that is the case, you might want to see if you can still return it to the retailer for a replacement. This would be much faster than sending it in for repair and ensure you get a brand new console. Please let us know what you decide and I hope either way you get back on Xbox and enjoy gaming. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Trust me, I've exhausted all my options to avoid having to send it in to Microsoft.  The store policies stated I have 15 days from the date of purchase to return/exchange the item with the receipt.  The 15 days expired before the problem started.  I called the store and they declined being able to do anything for me.  This isn't the first repair on an Xbox 360 for me.  I've had 3 consoles, all of which needed to be repaired.  I bought the original Xbox 360 with the 20GB HDD and controller the day it came out from Best Buy and a year later I got the RROD.  Sent that one in and got it repaired, gave that one to my brother and got a new one which also needed to be repaired because of an issue with the wireless sensor for the controllers to connect to the console.  Now I have the Xbox 360 S and am facing another repair, thankfully I do not have to pay the $100 charge for this repair, but I did have to pay for the other two.  If in fact Microsoft can manage to make a console with their billions of dollars that does not immediately require repair, they may put other consoles out of business.  Otherwise, Microsoft is just a hassle of expensive repairs and cheesy inexpensive equipment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

15 days seems an unfairly short period of time to me, check your rights regarding the return of faulty goods in your region. Stores can't just go making up their own rules, go back and kick up a stink when the shop is busy and see then if they change it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually that is their store policy and technically they can set whatever regulations they want for returns/exchanges.  Although I agree that is seems unfair, but what in life is fair?  Nothing.  Besides, I already sent my console to Microsoft this afternoon.  The sooner I get this back online the happier I'll be.  If it happens again, I'm switching to Playstation 3!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="K1LLSH0Txx"]

Actually that is their store policy and technically they can set whatever regulations they want for returns/exchanges.  Although I agree that is seems unfair, but what in life is fair?  Nothing.  Besides, I already sent my console to Microsoft this afternoon.  The sooner I get this back online the happier I'll be.  If it happens again, I'm switching to Playstation 3!

[/quote]

Most shops should be at 1 month return anyway. Sorry if the X360 doesn't work out for ya. Some people have better luck with PS3 and some people have better luck with X360.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess I should clarify I didn't buy my console at a local shop, it was purchased at a corporate retailer.  I personally don't believe luck has anything to do with satisfaction, its a matter of experiences you get from your investment.  Essentially anything you buy is an investment and if I'm paying similar prices for product a but product b doesn't require any extra expenses, my opinion of product a will change when you anticipate the same quality as product b but the result is a lack of quality and high overall expense in comparison to product b.  That's why I'm not impressed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in the exact same boat as you.  I have owned three 360s since the first gen console, my last being the 360 S.  The shelf life on each of my consoles as been between 2-3 years.  Just enough time for the warranty to run out, and the only solution is to drop another $100 into a crap product.  Funny how my first PS3 is still my only PS3.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2022 Views 428 Applies to: