My brothers console and E66 error.....3 time of posting and no reply

Hi

I purchased my brother an XBOX Classic from Ebay without Hardrive but it came with a RROD E74 error

I took it to a local store and paid £30 for repair rather than the £72 Microsoft would charge.

My brother purchased a hard drive from Ebay and i setup a Gamertag for him, i went round at the weekend to recover the gamertag (currently unused) and when trying to update it comes up with an E66 error?? Looking online this means that his console has been banned? He has not even played on his XBOX yet??

His Gamertag is Everton Elt

Thanks in advance for your help

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[quote user="E1TSY"]I purchased my brother an XBOX Classic from Ebay without Hardrive[/quote]Purchase of a used 360 console is not recommended.[quote]but it came with a RROD E74 error[/quote]Why didn't you return it right then and there?[quote]I took it to a local store and paid £30 for repair rather than the £72 Microsoft would charge.[/quote]Repair by any entity other than a Microsoft authorized service center is prohibited as per the XBOX Live Terms of Use. There are no authorized service centers other than Microsoft's.[quote]when trying to update it comes up with an E66 error?? Looking online this means that his console has been banned?[/quote]This is a primary reason not to buy used 360 consoles. Console bans are permanent. Microsoft will not reverse the ban.[quote]Thanks in advance for your help[/quote]There's no help to be had. You bought a banned console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

IceStorm III I sense an air of overwhleming arrogance in your reply.

Firstly, i knew the console was RROD, the very reason i bought it as i knew that i could get it repaired cheap, was a great solution for my brother.

Secondly, its not a primary reason NOT to buy a used 360 console, i can provide evidence all day long of people that have bought secondhand consoles and not had a problem.

Your final reply "There's no help to be had. You bought a banned console." this is something called COMMON COURTESY, just being polite

I get the feeling that if you post something genuine and open that you are seen as an idiot and somebody that MUST be involved in some sort of piracy / illegal activity

Sorry this didn't help.

Its not a good idea to buy a used Xbox 360 console because

1. You dont know what the previous owner has done on Xbox live with that console.

2. You dont know if there are any modifications in the Xbox 360 console

3.Console bans are never reversed. even if you didnt do anything

From what it sounds like... You got screwed and ripped off.

I would recommend a Xbox 360 Slim *NEW* if you are willing to buy another console.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="E1TSY"]I get the feeling that if you post something genuine and open that you are seen as an idiot and somebody that MUST be involved in some sort of piracy / illegal activity[/quote]Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I see someone who did not read the XBOX Live Terms of Service.

Ignorance isn't going to win you any sympathy. Read and follow the Terms of Service if you wish to connect to the Service.

Sorry this didn't help.

Jeez IceStorm III Your first line is correct, like large percentage of the population i didnt read them and in hind sight should have done.

on your finishing note, your air of arrogance is back AGAIN, im not pleeding ignorance!?!? I am openly saying i bought one second hand to save money as it was a gift for my brother and seeming as he is not a big gamer it didnt warrant me buying him a new xbox.

I came on here to seek answers and to see if anything can be done.....it cant, so i take my medicine on the second hand purchase and move on.

On the flip side, Thanks for the reply Sagers2, learning lesson here on buying second hand consoles.

Have just been informed by someone at Microsoft that the E66 is not due to a mod from the previous owner but because it was repaired by a third party and is to do with them opening the console and triggering an alert of some kind. Kindly explained the full in's and out's :)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="E1TSY"]I came on here to seek answers and to see if anything can be done....[/quote]Nothing can be done.[quote]Have just been informed by someone at Microsoft.[/quote]You've talked with a third party call center, not "someone at Microsoft". They're not paragons of knowledge.

This is all Microsoft's going to tell you about the error codes on the 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="E1TSY"]

Have just been informed by someone at Microsoft that the E66 is not due to a mod from the previous owner but because it was repaired by a third party and is to do with them opening the console and triggering an alert of some kind. Kindly explained the full in's and out's :)

[/quote]The E66 error is caused by a pairing failure between the 360 and the DVD drive in it.

The drive is paired by a unique key to the motherboard in the console. So replacing it with another can cause all kinds of problems, including the E66.

So I'm afraid it sounds as if either the person you bought the console from, or the person who repaired it, replaced the drive inside without considering the consequences.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you had read the XBL Terms of Service and Code of Conduct you would have known that any repairs by a third party is not allowed and thusly you could have purchased either a working used console or a new console. Your hindsight seems to have been the problem from the start.

Now if you want your brothers console to connect to XBL you will have to go out and get him another one, used or new. Kind of a waste of money, don't you think?

Sorry this didn't help.