My brother or myself disconnecting when the other one signs on?

Whenever my brother or I are playing xbox live, and the other turns on his xbox, one of us disconnects the second the other connects. Essentially when we test the connection it says we are connected to everything other than xbox live, and it will not allow the person disconnected to sign in at all into xbox live. We're using a Cisco DPC3825 router/modem.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hi Hngry,

It's my guess that both Xbox's have the same IP address.  As Taidara suggested, make sure that both Xbox's are set to automatic for their network settings.  If that doesnt work it may be worthwhile manually setting them both up with two distinct IP addresses.  If you want help with this I can look up the Cisco router that you have and probably go through the settings for the router, so that each xbox has a route through to the internet and through to Xbox live.

Let us know how you get on.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there Hngry!

When you being disconnected from Xbox LIVE do you get an error code?

Could you turn off your defult gateway (DPC3825) for a couple of minutes. Login to your router and make sure UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is ticked enable. Now go to your firewall settings and untick Block IP Flood Detection and Block Anoymous Internet Requests. Make sure you have not manually open network ports used by Xbox LIVE (Port Forwarding) or DMZ. Save settings and reboot.

Both consoles network settings should be set to automatic.

Post back and let us know how it goes. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I'm not sure why this is suddenly happening. Happy Thanksgiving to those in the states that help :].

Sorry this didn't help.

I wanted to add, thank you to the suggestions above.  But considering Hngryhungry Hippo said the problem just started and he did not experience connection issues previously, I don't know how you guys think this is an issue with the router or modem or ISP all of a sudden, if it can't support 2 Xboxes why has he been able to use both Xboxes until recently?  

I think I am having similar issues, my problem has not always existed and we can still be online at the same time just when we try to join a game we both get Disconnected from LIVE and cannot sign back on until resetting everything.  I really have no idea what's happening, but my guess is the problem relates to XBOX LIVE or a setting in the XBOX. Cheers!  and happy Thanksgiving, but will be much happier if we can join a game together.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar problem with 2 XBOX 360 consoles.  The strangest part of this, it only started happening within the last year, before that we never had any problems. We have not changed modems or internet service.  

I'm estimating about 6 months ago it just started, the problem is we are not able to join the same party online, but we can both be online on XBOX LIVE and in different games or parties.  As soon as we try to join the same game or party - in the new Black Ops for example, we are both disconnected from XBOX LIVE and cannot sign on until the connection is reset on both systems (must exit game, reconnect to router). Then we both can sign on again after resetting consoles and connections, although it might take a while, and are completely fine... until we try to join the same party or game again now rinse and repeat.  

This is frustrating to such an extent because we cannot play any games together online, but we can play online with others.  What can possibly be happening here?  I don't know how it could be related to the router, modem or ISP due to the fact we are both able to be online at the same time in different parties and games, only when we try to join the same game are we disconnected.  I appreciate any ideas in advance, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some help would be appreciated. I've tried the above ideas and nothing has solved it so far.

Sorry this didn't help.

Another thing I noticed, is I tried a few of the solutions such as clearing system cache, and deleting the profile and attempting to download it back, but as I tried that I got the error code  800704cd.

Sorry this didn't help.

Very good suggestion by my fellow Ambassador.

If his help didn't help you out at all, I'm afraid your router isn't combatible with the Xbox that you own.

I wasn't able to track your Router in the Xbox Supported Compatible Router/Modem list, so that means that you should contact you your Internet Service Provider (ISP) again and request a compatible Router/Modem or all in 1.

This list display all Router,Modems for multiple manufactures that are compatible with Windows Live Games, Xbox Games, Xbox Networks etc.

If you still have any problems, I hope to hear from you soon.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Rick N.,
DummyArbiter010

borntolearn.mslearn.net
microsoft.com/learning

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately it's been running fine up until yesterday, when this problem suddenly started happening. We assumed it was just an issue for the day but it's carried on to today. According to speed test, ping is 20, Download speed is 42.62 mbps and 2.91 mbps

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems like it could be a internet speed issue. Depending on your speed, you may or may not be able to support both consoles at the same time. Of course, this is just a guess off of what you have stated so far.

It would be helpful to know what type of speed you are supposed to be receiving. Speedtest.net would help with determining what you are actually getting. The lower the speed, the less likely the chance of holding both consoles at the same time. With the subject of speed, if you have other devices running on it as well, that could be part of the issue. (Laptop, Desktop, Wireless Printer, Tablet, etc.)

One other issue could just be the fact that your Router/Modem does not play well with 2 Xbox consoles. This could very easily be the case. Your Internet Service Provider or even the Modem/Router manufacturers should be able to help you determine if that is the issue.

I believe your best bet with this would be to contact your Internet Service Provider to seek support with this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.