My After Action Report After 9 Hours of X1

TL;DR -- this system is as good if not better than all of the hype you've heard about it. Simply phenomenal.

I got X1 at Midnight and was home by 12:10, which also included dropping off a guy who had gotten one and didn't have a car.

The update took about 3 minutes to download. Upon finishing, the system rebooted for about 2 minutes, and then setup began.

Everything went well, but I wasn't able to really use the Kinect because my wife was asleep in the next room, and the Kinect setup requires you to purposefully turn up the volume a lot higher than normal. I eventually got to use it with my wife this morning about 3 hours ago.

I will say that the only hiccup of the night occurred when trying to install COD:Ghosts. It seemed like it took absolutely forever (probably like 20 minutes) to both DL the update and copy the disc to the HD. Not the end of the world, but it seemed a lot slower than usual. BF4 went a lot quicker.

I've got to say, MS has far outdone themselves. The UI is clean, yet elegant. The Kinect voice commands have worked every time I've used them this morning, assuming I actually used the right command and attempted to speak up/enunciate properly.

The system, after 9 straight hours of gaming, wasn't hot at all, and the fan is really quiet.

The only negatives I've encountered is that after I finally shut down the system and then rebooted it, it didn't seem to identify me or my wife very well. It has a built in protocol for when this happens, and seems to indicate that over time it gets better, as it sees you in different lighting, but that did happen this morning.

The only other negative is that both my COD and BF skills appear to have totally atrophied over the last 5 months of no gaming. I have been getting an absolute train run on me all night.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this review, but I didn't sleep all night, and my brain really is struggling.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sounds good for the most part. :)

Have to agree, in the 5hrs I have had with my X1 I am very impressed. Can't believe how quiet it is and luckily no problems with downloads or installing. As in the UK not getting much from the TV features yet but looking forward to how this develops

I too returned to online shooters after being without a console for 5 months and was also handed my *** on a plate. Must say was enjoying the leaning via the Kinect though.

Say what?  Leaning via Kinect, see I need to mess with the features more in depth, I had no idea!  But I agree Submit, phenomenal system so far.

Thanks! Nice review! I can't wait to get off work and hook mine up.

It's astounding Submit. I just don't know what to do when something that I've looked forward to for 6 months EXCEEDS my expectations. I don't know how to feel, or what to say.

Are either of you using the hdmi pass through from your cab/sat box?

sounds great! I love hearing this. got few more hours for my one to be delivered. So excited!

[quote user="ARSMETAL"]

Are either of you using the hdmi pass through from your cab/sat box?

[/quote]Nah, haven't tried that. Not much point as I have a Sky HD Box.

voice recognition you have to raise your voice, sky doesnt work because xbox loses the signal, its plugged in so dunno why it wont work, the dvr playback is terrible the clips are unwatchable it chugs frame by frame, no smooth video clip.and once you turn your xbox off kinect turns off so u gotta use pad to turn on.

Sky supposedly isn't supported Frozen.