My account was hacked what do I do?

Ok so first of all my gamertag is eXile218 and this all happened while I was watching netflix on my console when in the middle of a program I was watching I was disconnected from xbox live it happened at around midnight so I figured maybe there was a scheduled maintenance update I had missed so I checked my email and I did indeed have a message from Microsoft but its not a maintenance email thing apparently somebody had hacked my account and decided to buy a whole bunch of Microsoft points with my card on file thankfully I was able to remove the card via my computer before they bought too much more and change my log in info and password. So my question is I guess is will my money that was spent while my account was hacked be refunded or am I boned and what steps should I take to prevent this from happening again in the future beyond switching my password to a stronger one and not keeping a card on file.

Thanks,

eXile218

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

You can contact support and make an unauthorized access claim on your account.  However, even though you now have access to this account, support will lock it down for up to 30 business days while it is being investigated.  Whether you want to do that would depend entirely on how much was spent on your card.

You weren't 'hacked' as that isn't possible, there are many ways of losing access to an account via phishing scams, weak passwords, social engineering etc, etc.

Please read the guides below to help keep your account secure in the future.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/Stolen-Account

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/Security-Checklist

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/What-To-Do

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I did all that you listed and thanks for the information it was really helpful, now I am wondering since I went through with the 30 day lock down thing would I be able to open a temporary account under a different name or should I just suck it up and wait the 30 days.

Thanks

eXile218

Sorry this didn't help.

Really? Its been 6 weeks for me and counting. Seems a problem is brewing.

Sorry this didn't help.

It would seem so I don't think I would be able to wait six weeks I mean I know I sound petty here but I really don't have much else to do for entertainment.

Sorry this didn't help.