My account was hacked - now what?

I already reported the incident to Microsoft, and after about 3 weeks of investigation, I finally got my MS Points back.  Luckily my credit card wasn't charged by the hackers, but to be safe I reported it stolen anyway and got a new one from my bank.

Now that I have my account back, I have a couple questions.  I noticed that whomever hacked my account used my MS Points to buy Assassin's Creed 2, and got 3 achievements on the game.  Those still show up on my account, and I don't want them to - it's not my game, I didn't earn the achievements, and now it's hindering my completion score since I have no interest in that game... it will affect my overall percentage of achievements earned.  I called Xbox Live support immediately after I noticed this, but they weren't really able to help me, and suggested I ask here.  If nobody here has any ideas, does anybody know an email address I can contact, like a more specialized support that deals with this sort of thing?  During the investigation, I was never allowed to talk directly to the people who handled it, I was only able to find out through a generic service rep what the notes said.

Another question I had is about my credit card.  The entire time I have had Xbox Live, I have used nothing but 12-month prepaid cards to get Gold.  The only things I have ever used my credit card for were one-time purchases of games and MS Points... but when I try to remove my credit card from the account, both from my console and from the website, it says I can't remove it because there's a current subscription tied to it.  WHAT subscription? It clearly says right there that my Gold is through a 12-month card... The support rep said he got the same luck and wasn't able to remove it.  Now, since the card is now null and void, I'm not too concerned about somebody stealing it since it won't actually work... but I'd rather not have a non-working credit card on file, it just causes trouble if I do want to buy something.

Let me know if you guys can help!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Ok, first I have to state the obvious here.  An xbox live account can't be hacked only phished.  Odds are at some point you gave out some information that allowed someone access to your account.  You can check the links here to learn how to keep your account safe and secure in the future.

Now, as far as your request about the achievements and the credit card:

1.  Unfortunately, once an achievement is earned on a game it is there permanently as it is saved on the xbox servers and not on the console.  Perhaps give the game a try.  It's not as bad as you think.

2.  The credit card is tied to your gold status and in order to remove the card they would need to cancel your gold membership.  The simplest way to deal with this is to allow your gold to run out to silver, remove the card and then renew your gold after that.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sure it can be hacked, someone just has to brute-force the password.

I don't get why a credit card would be tied to my gold status if I never actually bought gold with a credit card... I used prepaid cards, I didn't even HAVE a credit card on file until about a year ago. (And I've had Xbox Live Gold since 2009)

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately not.  A quick search of your gamertag on google came up with a wealth of information (one page of which I will send you privately).  This information should be hidden if you want to keep your gamertag intact.  I wish you good luck in doing so in the future.

As for the credit card, your only option is what I suggested.

Sorry this didn't help.