My account was hacked and used to buy microsoft points.

To those out there who have experienced a hack on an account of yours, or your information was used to purchase things with your money without your consent, you know what i am currently having to deal with.

Two days ago my account was hacked in the most extreme way. First my account's location was changed from United States to Brazil. Secondly, the person who hacked my account bought Microsoft points totaling $125, which somehow haven't even showed up on my account. I contacted Xbox support and they told me they would investigate it, telling me it takes 24 hours for my money to be refunded. I check my bank account the next day, no change. i call Xbox support again. Another person tells me that it takes up to 48 hours in order to get a refund and up to 30 days to recover my account. As i post this, it is roughly 48 hours after the investigation initially started.

Now I'm not one to complain. I understand that the support team has a lot to work on. But while they work on tracking down who used my money to buy games for some jerk in Brazil, I'm stuck needing that money back now in order to help pay for essentials for the new apartment my wife and I just paid rent for today. All I ask from you, the Xbox community is your support. Let me know if this sort of thing has happened to you. Were you able to get your money back? What did you have to do to get things settled and how long did it take? This has been a harsh experience for me, and if it hasn't happened to you, make sure it doesn't. I never thought this would happen to me, but you should always expect the unexpected.

With hope for a positive resolution,

MaxOtaku (Max H)

the same just happened to me. to top it all off, i also can't access my avatar or go on line. you would think that a corporation as large as microsoft would have a larger support system. but i guess that they only want their money

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm hoping that their support is better than you say, or else i'll raise hell with them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

MaxOtaku - You can file a complaint with your bank as well in order to get the money back, of course if their investigation turns up saying that you are right and you didn't have access to the account when the points were charged then there's nothing to worry about no harm no foul to them as you still get your money back. I suggest doing so if your in dire need of the funds. But they are correct about getting the account back as it can take upwards of 30 days to get it recovered. This has been happening a lot of people recently, and it's due to a lot of reasons. It's not a breach of security and there's only so much Microsoft can do to keep your passwords safe. If someone has gotten your e-mail/password from some sort of scheme or phishing scam then there's nothing we can do about it on our end. It's best to make sure you have anti-virus software on your computer, not go to any sites that you don't really know, don't click any links in e-mails from people who you don't know. And last but not least make sure your passwords are secure, at least 8 characters long consisting of both upper case letters, lower case letters, and numbers. It's also best to not use the same password for more than one site.

For example, if you were a member of Bethesda forums and their forums just recently got hacked and user account information was taken if your password and e-mail was the same as your XBOX Live account then that's one potential way that they were able to infiltrate your XBOX Live account as well (I'm just listing an example). They do their best, but with the influx of people getting this done to them it's hard to investigate everything in their given time frame and sometimes takes longer. Sorry you are going through this and hope you get a resolution to this soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If your account has been compromised, please contact phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us) and open an Unauthorized Access Investigation (UAI). That done, please take a moment to review our Account Security information (www.xbox.com/.../Account-Security). Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just gone onto my account to see an additional 5000 points I did not purchase, I have already filed a claim with Paypal and sent a rather snarky email to customer support as I am really not happy - hopefully it will get sorted quickly but now i gotta go change all my passwords again :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend contacting your bank, filing an investigation for the use of your credit card unknowingly, and call Xbox Customer support line and file an Enforcement team investigation. It might take 2-3 weeks for them to finalize the investigation and find a solution and get back to you. If it takes any longer, than contact the police for Identity Theft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I was sadly a victim today of being hacked. They bought 10K of MS points and spent them in Fifa 12! Well I had a really great person from customer services and I also spoke to both the bank and the police (I am really not happy). I changed every password and MS took my card off and suspended my live account. Now I did phone them back as I went to carry on playing rage and well you need your gamertag, so I recovered my tag as I spoke to them as I wanted to them to know a) it was actually me the owner of the account recovering and b) that it didnt mess up the investigation.

Seriously I actually feel violated and if I catch them, I will deal with them as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2023 Views 722 Applies to: