My account theft and the inept response to same

Hello, 

I sold my Xbox 360 about a month and a half ago, and before I did I deleted all of the information that I had saved on the console, including all Xbox Live account information, and cancelled my Gold subscription. Then, last week, I saw an email pop in to thank me for my $50 purchase of Xbox Live points. I called support, and was told that someone had made a fraudulent purchase on my account, and that the account was now locked to prevent anyone else from doing the same. I assumed that I must have missed something in the process of cleaning out the console, and thanked them for their help.

Yesterday, I received two emails thanking me for my purchases of $75 and $50 for more points. Well, I guess the account wasn't so locked after all. I called support. They told me that an investigation had started about the charges, but that the account hadn't been locked. Now it was, they claimed. I said, "Can I have some kind of evidence of the fact that it's actually locked, being that I was told this same thing just a few days ago?". They told me that I could not. I said that I wanted them to kill everything then, cancel my Zune subscription, remove my credit card from the account, leave no possible way for this to happen to me again. I simply can't afford to have random money come out of my account for something I no longer even own. They said that they did so for me. 

However, when I log into the site online, my credit card still appears. I was able to log in here without any trouble at all. I can make any sort of changes that I would like to the account. What do I have to do to make these things not possible? I can't take the credit card off, it tells me there are pending charges to come from that card. I see when I look today that someone apparently has been playing FIFA 2011 on my account, and EA just sent me the "Welcome to FIFA 2011" email. Obviously my account can't be all that "locked" if someone is logging in and registering the game under my Xbox Live account. I would think that the "investigation" should have enough potential IP address information to not need to let this person continue to log into my account to find them. 

Lecture me if you like about my initial mistake. I feel like I am probably to blame in some way for the initial problem. But I can't see how the failure to actually kill the account and allowing further charges to continue to come from my bank account is on me. So tell me what I have to do to make this stop, please. Tell me how to see my account is actually locked. That my credit card is not sitting there in waiting to be charged from. I can't take it off, they said they did, it's still there. Explain to me how this was support in any way. Generally support actually does something. And then they offer some kind of evidence that the support actually took place, and are then accountable in some way. If more money comes out, someone will apologize for the "inconvenience" and then tell me they fixed something. I do not trust this, based on experience. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

You can change your password and secret question/answer. A lock only prevents any kind of purchasing. Suspending the account is what blocks all access.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm very sorry for all the hassle you are going through. Unfortunately no one here on the forums is able to help with these matters. What I recommend doing is calling phone support back and simply ask to start an Unauthorized Access Investigation (UAI). You can also contact you bank about reversing the charges if you are sure that they were fraudulent. If you get them reversed and the investigation finds that these charges really are yours, your account will be suspended until they are paid off. Please let me know if there are any questions I might be able to answer in the meantime.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would suggest staying on the phone with customer service while you are your account page, and request they stay on the phone with you until you can confirm on your end (via billing.microsoft.com) that your account is locked and your credit card is removed.

Sorry this didn't help.