My account has been hacked and I have now received a poor service when requesting a refund.

My Xbox Live account has just been hacked and money charged onto the card which was connected to it. I was suprised to find that if I register with a hotmail account my card details will be stored on my hotmail account. Now, I don't know if you know of anyone who uses a hotmail account but most of my friends who do have had their accounts hacked in the past which would suggest hotmail is very insecure! So I was suprised to find that my microsoft would deem it reasonable to allow somebody to sign into my Xbox account and make payments with all of my billing information saved.

I of course contacted their customer services, after going through a security process with them they informed me that my details would be passed along to their investigation team and it would take a full 30 days before I could receive a refund (£51). Obviously I queried this as it seemed like an exceptionally long time, it was explained to me that this was their turnaround time. When I asked why when I contacted them to explain that it was not me that had made that payment and they had removed the products which had been payed for from the account I had to wait 30 days I was told that they sometimes got people "pretending" this had happened so they need to ensure that my claim is legitimate.

Not only were my card details shared without my knowledge with the hotmail address I use (this should be made a lot more explicit) but as a customer of theirs I am now being treated with suspicion because of their low security to emails. When I pointed out that it was common knowledge that hotmail security was weak it was suggested to me that someone was likely to have gotten my hotmail details from somewhere other than hotmail. I know this is not the case as my password was unique to my hotmail address and I only signed in securely through hotmail.

I am writing this from my hacked Xbox live account. This is not even my username.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I'm sorry to hear about your account being compromised. Are you still in the waiting period for the investigation, or was this started a while ago?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have used Hotmail for over two years now and not once have I been compromised.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2011/05/09/secure-your-hotmail-account.aspx

http://www.siphilp.co.uk/archive/2011/07/31/hotmail-up-the-ante-with-account-security.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

man my account just got hacked to homie i had a credit card on mine to and i know theyve used it cause they changed the gamertag already like two times i called them they told me the same stuff that its gonna take 30 days to do the investigation like they cant do that in a week but if they dont get my account back after all the money ive spent on xbox i probably aint gonna *** with xbox nemore, not saying im glad ur account got hacked cause its sum bull people do *** like that but im glad I aint the only one this *** happened to but im gonna keep my fingers crossed for yo account and mine homie

Sorry this didn't help.