My 360 core hard drive shell broke.

While attempting to remove my hard drive from my old core console, I lifted it out by one side and BENT the prong (I guess it's a prong? It's the little thing that sticks out at the bottom of the hard drive) that connects the hard drive to the console itself. It's now loose and with enough pulling would probably come out. The xbox resets whenever I remove and put the hard drive back in, but it doesn't detect any memory. 

Now I'm assuming the broken prong is what's making the xbox not able to read the memory in the hard drive. I've seen tutorials on youtube that have shown people removing something within the hard drive shell (Which I'm assuming is the actual memory unit) and put it into another shell. As this break the microsoft seal, I know it breaks warranty. 

SO getting to my initial questions...

1) Where should I take this to see if it's broken?

2) Is this a "known to happen" problem and is it repairable?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Lol ok bud, I get it. I asked for an answer and someone else gave it on where I should repair my hard drive, and now you're talking about the terms of service. Guess that little check mark doesn't mean much.

Anyways, I got the official Microsoft cable and of course with my luck, no dice. It seems this hard drive is officially screwed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone who has read the XBL Terms of Service/Code of Conduct would know the answer. That should be around 30 million subscribers, including you...

Sorry this didn't help.

Why does it concern you? I was just curious to see if it was legal or not. Since it gets you banned, I'm obviously not interested in doing it (Even though I was told you don't).

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want to know if it is legal or illegal (according to MS's rules) you can check for yourself by reviewing the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct, both contracts tell you what you can and can not do in regards to your console, the software and the service.

Also, there is this thread that tells you in simple terms the same thing: forums.xbox.com/.../4558.aspx

If you had/have no intention of opening up the hdd, then why did you mention doing just that a few posts ago?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope! I read it just fine. But fair enough, guess I'll just start from scratch. I had no intention of disassembling it. I've still got my achievements, so I could care less. =)

It's a little weird that an xbox support rep on the phone told me it wasn't illegal, and the forums say it is. These people need to get their story straight.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im writing this in bold so you do not miss it this time Fooga, ignore this c&p if you like but when your console is banned and maybe your account along with it you can not say you were not warned.

The person you say you spoke to gave you the wrong information, this is the correct information and a clear warning.

This is a section of a post by a support representative on the forums.

Removing the old HDDs from their casing, for use in a 360 S console or other reason , is against the ToU, hardware tampering and modification. At no time is this tolerated. Modifying your hardware can lead to account suspensions or console bans.

In addition, we will not tolerate this type of discussion on the forums. If you are found discussing this practice, you will be suspended or banned from the forums.

From the Terms of Use:

12. Service Operation and Equipment.

Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

You seemed to miss the warning in my last post so just wanted to make sure you did not miss this one.

Sorry this didn't help.

I heard a loud snap so I guess I messed it up pretty bad. Ah well. I'm gonna buy the official cable and see if it still transfers the data. If not, I'll just open it up and put it into another shell.

And yes, it's not considering modding to do that. I talked to xbox support last night on the phone, and he said as long as you're not messing with the console itself, switching hard drives in the shell is not considering modding.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Fooga"]I lifted it out by one side and BENT the prong (I guess it's a prong? It's the little thing that sticks out at the bottom of the hard drive) that connects the hard drive to the console itself.[/quote]The "prong" as you call it is a custom connector that pre-dates eSATAp. It provides power and data to the hard drive contained inside the shell. It's just a physical connector with a conventional SATA power and data connector on the other end of the wiring bundle. There are no electronics on the cable bundle, the "prong", or the connector to the HDD. It's all passive physical adapter hardware and cabling.[quote]It's now loose and with enough pulling would probably come out.[/quote]By design, that connector "floats". It is not hard-mounted to the casing, it's mounted in a rectangular rubber or silicone gasket. It's designed to have some play in it, but not designed to be removed as there's cabling on the other side of the connector.[quote]The xbox resets whenever I remove and put the hard drive back in, but it doesn't detect any memory.[/quote]Sounds a lot like you pulled it so hard that some of the wiring to the connector has worked loose.[quote]Now I'm assuming the broken prong is what's making the xbox not able to read the memory in the hard drive.[/quote]Probably.[quote]1) Where should I take this to see if it's broken?

2) Is this a "known to happen" problem and is it repairable?[/quote]Self-repair discussions are not permitted on the official forums. It is safe to assume that Microsoft has access to and reads all communications posted on the forum, "private" or not.

The Internet is a very big place.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Danno, Unfortunately this how I got myself into this mess in the first place. I had bought a third party transfer cable (which only does console to PC data movements) so I couldn't move the data to the new 250 hard drive I bought. Well anyways I had ended up trying to take it out and bent it. So I guess I could buy the official cord and try to transfer the data anyway. The only problem is, the console isn't recognizing my hard drive. I plug it in, and it says "No memory device detected". So I'm gonna assume that even if I buy the official transfer cable, it won't matter.

@ChickenFloss, Well I do achievements as my hobby so I don't really mind about my saves. But...with around 30 hours into Fallout New Vegas and my save files in Mass Effect 1 and 2, I think that's enough to attempt to save the memory, lol. Plus my brother's account is on the hard drive as well, and he's well into Oblivion.

Well I guess I've got my question answered. Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I can fix this.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Chickenfloss"]

It would honestly probably be less hassle and cheaper to go to a store and buy a replacement hard drive. If you are dead set on saving the memory and save games etc you could contact Microsoft. If they refuse you would have to resort to buying a new one and swapping shells out yourself, but it would void the new hard drive's warranty.

[/quote]
It would not only void the HDD's warranty it could result in the OP's console/account getting banned from the service permanently.

OP as mentioned just ring support, if they can repair it then its all good.

If they cant I would advice against purchasing a new HDD and swapping it out. Just take it as a learning experience, it still sucks but you would only lose your saves as everything else can either be recovered or re-downloaded.

Sorry this didn't help.