My 300GB Hitachi HDD not working on Xbox 360 after update

I have a 300GB Hitachi Hard drive that wont show up on my Xbox 360 after the update to allow 2TB Harddrives. Ive reinstalled the update, and Ive preformatted my hard drive and it just wont work. How do I fix this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hey there Poisoned Wiener,

I would recommend connecting the drive to a working PC and get a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's website and check the drive's health. See if the drive passes the S.M.A.R.T. test as well as the extended test for bad sectors.

If you have your data backed up, try resetting both the console and the drive to its factory defaults, wiping all info.

Contacting MS's support can also prove to be useful. :)

Captain_WD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Replugging my drive with any combonation of powering my console on and off doesnt work. I have several USB Thumb Drives that work in my console just fine. My USB 3.0 cable for the External Hard Drive gets powered by the console, but still will not show up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, let's see what we can do to help fix this.

First let's try powering down your console and then unplug your drive. Wait 30 seconds, and then power your console on without the HDD plugged in. Once everything has started, let's then try plugging in the HDD to see if your console detects it.

If your console still isn't detecting the drive, let's try a different storage device to see if it's able to detect that. Also, just to check, has your console ever been able to detect this storage device?

Sorry this didn't help.