My 250gb Internal HDD only lets me use 53gb

Hi all, i've got a slim xbox 360 bought 2nd hand, I used to have a fat model with a 60gb hdd but that eventually broke. Anyways my slim has a 250gb hard drive in it, and i've noticed whenever I try to go over 53gb on it (i think past it having 176gb remaining) the console freezes and restarts, and whatever I was trying to install, download, or so on gets corrupted. Basically, my 250gb hard-drive is acting like a 60gb drive and I have no idea why. I don't know if this is a problem with the console, the hard-drive, or a programming error of some sort. Microsoft offered to send me a brand new one free of charge but I'm not sure if the problem will persist on the new hard-drive, has anyone else had this problem or know of a fix?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

get the free HDD!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="VisionedOrange"]

Hi all, i've got a slim xbox 360 bought 2nd hand, I used to have a fat model with a 60gb hdd but that eventually broke. Anyways my slim has a 250gb hard drive in it, and i've noticed whenever I try to go over 53gb on it (i think past it having 176gb remaining) the console freezes and restarts, and whatever I was trying to install, download, or so on gets corrupted. Basically, my 250gb hard-drive is acting like a 60gb drive and I have no idea why. I don't know if this is a problem with the console, the hard-drive, or a programming error of some sort. Microsoft offered to send me a brand new one free of charge but I'm not sure if the problem will persist on the new hard-drive, has anyone else had this problem or know of a fix?

[/quote]

I've never heard of this issue before, though it does sound like HDD corruption to me.  If Microsoft is offering to send you a free replacement HDD on a used console, then I'd take it.  1) Used consoles are _not_ covered under warranty, so the fact that they're offering you a free HDD is extremely generous of them and 2) You'd be able to test and determine if the issue is the HDD at no cost to you and 3) if it's not, you could always sell the HDD and recoup some cash.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Back up important data/saves/gamer pics/ etc and try a complete fresh format of the drive.

support.microsoft.com/.../906502

If that doesn't work, take HDD to friend's house and format there as well.

Take up MS on the HDD offer.

Sorry this didn't help.

or go to the place u bought it from and ask them to give a refund or exchange it for a new one if the format dont work

Sorry this didn't help.