My 250GB Hard drive just stopped my xbox working.

I have read online that alot of people have a similar issue where their Xbox 360 Slim HDD that they got with their Xbox 360 slim on purchase at the end of 2 years ago no longer reads properly and instead when they log in they get a screen asking for a new profile or to skip sign in....

I HAD the same problem until a few days ago when i used the troubleshooter and reinserted my HDD. It worked for about 2 days allowing me to play mass effect 2 (just finished it) to get a perfect game for ME3. NOW my issue has gotten worse...

Not only will it not read my HDD but when the HDD is in the xbox i cant even get to dashboard.... which means that when it is in i cant check my HDD for the saved data or even try to retrieve it :/

The Xbox360 itself is fine, remove the HDD and turn it on it works as normal... asking for a memory device and to create a profile etc. But when the HDD device is in it stays on the screen with the floating X ball and Xbox 360 below it.

.....just letting u know i waited about 3 hours after i wrote whats above to see if i could get anything done again....

OK so i got it turned on and confirmed after staying on the Xbox welcome screen mentioned before for about 50 mins to 1 hour it loads up an signs in (definatly not right but at least i can access it) i looked on my hard drive and all saved data files etc are there... which means it isnt software corruption.

I checked all isues it might have been... replayed the ending of mass effect 2 just to make sure (this was what i was doing before the issues started) it isnt that.

I looked at the HDD pins to make sure they werent bent and looked at the inside slot for any issues too... there is no obvious damage (meaning nothing i can tell is damage... i dont put together Xbox's so i dont know if anything is wrong that isnt obvious.)

The Xbox does NOT make any unusual sounds when turned on and the fan is definatly working on it.

I can only guess there is a hardware issue with either the HDD i have or the Xbox's connection to the HDD drive socket but being a poor gamer i cannot afford to buy another HDD just for the sake of testing which of the 2 options it is.

Besides that my HDD does have the data available that i want in it. so in reality besides a harware issue that i cannot locate the entire Xbox is in top condition.

My warrenty on this ran out December 14th last year (just my luck a few months ago) so i dont want to send the whole thing in for repair unless i can garuntee my data.

Is there anyway to check if it is a connection issue (Requireing repair) or a HDD issue (requireing a new HDD and a data transfer) without needing another HDD or XBox 360 to try it in???

Also is this a regular issue with this model of HDD as ive noticed in my searching for this type of problem the 250GB slim HDD units all seem to be malfunctioning betwen 6 months and 18 months down the line with almost the exact same issue.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi again i just played through some DLC to see if i could find any issues...

Since the start of the issues i have played all of the Mass Effect 2 DLC's and they worked fine...

So there should have been no corruption issues however i played the prothean Mass Effect 3 DLC just this second first of all it took a good 5/6 mins to load and then some of the textures diddnt load and the sounds partially diddnt match the onscreen movements and less than 1 min into it the game, it froze... is it possible we are downloading this issue (me and the other people on the forums with similar issues)

I have noticed almost every recent thread on this has mentioned that they are playing Mass Effect 3... just an afterthough... seems wierd how only 1 file in my entire hard drive has such severe issues while all others are completely uncorrupted. and it just happened to be a file i downloaded a couple days before my HDD issues start.

Just thought better to mention it than not. Hopeing for an answer soon.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like your  HDD is failing. HDDs fail. Extended console warranties are supposed to cover any storage device that comes with the console (like the HDD included with HDD-equipped consoles).

You missed Gearfest this year. You could have picked up a 320GB drive for about $80.

For the record, I own/have owned 14 consoles along with four accessory drives. None have suffered HDD failure. Having said that, my friend's original launch 360 did suffer HDD failure after about four years of usage.

Sorry this didn't help.

This was a gift for christmas... aka no extended warrenty. Its is annoying that this has happened 3 months after my warrenty ended but i diddnt get the chance to give it an extended warrenty in the first place(being a present and all). So if anything im just trying to find out if there is a sure fire way to tell if its the HDD or the Xbox itself that is acting up without needing a spare so i dont have to waste money on repair or a nw HDD that may not be needed.

Sorry this didn't help.

oh and as a note i understand about the fact HDD's can fail but after just 1 year and 3/4 months.... thats a bit soon dont you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Dare, sorry to hear about this issue! To answer your earlier question, the best way to test if this is an HDD issue would be to try a friend's HDD on your console, or your HDD on theirs. However, you can also try removing your HDD, then using a USB stick as a memory device. If the same issues don't occur, you can probably assume the HDD is at play here. :-) Would you like to give that a try, and let us know how it turns out?

Sorry this didn't help.

my 250GB slim HDD just failed after a year and a half.  Support said they would sell me one for 125, but that would not include any recovery from old HDD.  Pretty insulting given time short time it lasted and fact that they are selling them for much less on amazon

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem only I didn't even have mine for  year. I sent it in to Xbox thinking it was something wrong with the unit but it was the HDD. Im kind of upset that it did this. My old xbox which I have had for about four years has not had a single problem once. If my xbox is still underwarranty can I send in my HDD for repairs?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Tybo! You can request a repair/replacement for your Hard Drive and other accessories as well. Start with our online repair site (support.xbox.com/.../repair-process) and if you need to talk to someone, you can contact our phone support for further help. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just had the same problem, 250gb HDD - no longer being recognised in my XBox. Didnt set up the cloud save feature either so BYE BYE to,

All my minecraft levels

MW1, MW2, MW3 save games

Black ops1 save game

Forza 3 save game

Halo 3, ODST, Reach...and bare in mind Halo 4 gets released in 50mins.....

Borderlands 1 & 2

Battlefield....

All game data gone

Crappy xbox!

Now, where is my PS3..?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="al8x"]I've just had the same problem, 250gb HDD - no longer being recognised in my XBox. Didnt set up the cloud save feature either[/quote]That's your fault, not Microsoft's.[quote]Now, where is my PS3..?[/quote]The PS3 isn't much different. While you can do a full system backup, they take hours (and you apparently don't do backups anyway). Copy of data has the same issues on the PS3 as on the 360 - games have the option to lock saves to the storage device, rendering copying to another storage device impossible.

Sorry this didn't help.