Multipurpose External Hard Drive

Can I use the same external hard drive for my PC and my Xbox as long as I let the Xbox format it first?  In other words, can I use it as my computer backup and still running xbox games from it?

Answer
Answer

I have come to an impasse after reading all these replies.  The answer to my original question appears to be, YES, you can use the same hard drive to simultaneously store data from the PC and the Xbox One.  However, it should be noted that you must use third party software to achieve the desired results (which seems a little hacked together in my eyes).  Therefore, I choose not to use the same hard drive for storing all my data since it doesn't seem to be a part of Microsoft's current plan.

As for the future, I would love to be able to partition a single hard drive that I could use for the Xbox and PC simultaneously without having to use any third party software.  Furthermore, because I am uncertain about supporting third party software that I have not personally used, I shall mark this reply as the answer while giving credit to Jaymo1978 for providing an alternative for people that want to take a chance.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Neve! In fact, there IS a way (and it doesn't involve the Dark Side. :-) Now, I haven't personally tested this method, but it sounds fairly straightforward. PCs can indeed read both NTFS and FAT32 file systems. The problem is, when the Drive is formatted, something called the "MBR" or Master Boot Record is overwritten. When an MBR is in Xbox One format, the PC no longer recognizes it, and vice versa.

The following link has a tool which allows you to temporarily re-write the MBR so that the PC can once again read it. (Make sure to select the correct drive, and NOT your computer's hard drive.) When done, you can switch it back to Xbox mode, and your console should be able to read it again.

I should say that I make NO warranties with this program, and the developer makes a little warning statement about not being responsible for loss of data, but only because he hasn't tested it on all brands of drives. If you have a standard External Drive, my guess is that it should work fairly universally, but again, no promises or guarantees, YMMV.

If you decide to give it a go, let us know how it works for you!

digiex.net/.../13583-xbox-one-external-usb-storage-device-converter-xbox-one-formatted-usb-drives-pc.html

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2021 Views 17,563 Applies to: