Multiple xboxes on same router can no longer play in same game together

I have 2 Xbox slims. One connects wireless, the other is wired, going thru a Belkin N+ router (firmware up-to-date).  Both are on static IPs.  All was well BEFORE this update.  Both xboxes list NAT as OPEN.

As of today, we can play seperately on different games but when we try to play the same game, it disconnects (usually the wired) one xbox.  If one box is on the dashboard and I send an invite to a lobby, the other box will attempt to join but will receive an error stating he can't join.  If I send another invite it'll disconnect mines. 

Afterwhich, any box that's disconnected will no longer be able to connect.  The connection test will say to restart router...wait 30 seconds...etc. After following the suggestion, the box still won't connect though!  The only solution is to turn BOTH boxes off and do the 30 sec. router reboot. 

Both boxes are able to logon to dashboard together but soon as they both try to go into the same game, one will disconnect.  And the process starts over again.

So far this has happened on Crysis 2 and MW3.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 59 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had this issue with my iPhone's and it was due to have WPA2 active. with that being said can you tell me what make and model router you have along with what type of Wireless security you are running.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response!  It's a Belkin N+ model F5D8235-4 v2000 firmware version 2.01.09.  The wireless security WAS set to WPA-PSK with authentication set@WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK.  I have changed the authentication to WPA-PSK and will give it a go tomorrow to see if that helped any.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I know what you'll say (it worked before the update ! ) but all I can say is that firmware version 2.01.09 is not certified for live so that is why it may not be working properly when joining each others games. 2.01.08 is certified

You can't download that version from Belkin anymore as they like Linksys only keep the latest versions on their site but I always try to archive the live certified versions before they are taken off and have it on my site here:-

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/xbox-live-router-firmware

You could try that version of firmware instead and use UPnP only, no forwarding, no DMZ and ip addresses on auto

Sorry this didn't help.

@Shad0wmanUK - Thanks for the suggestion! I read a thread about not being able to play games cause of disconnects, after the update.  It said to re-download your profile.  I will try that first and if that doesn't do it, I will try your suggestion and roll back to the previous firmware...

Sorry this didn't help.

Re-d/l profile on both consoles didn't work so before I try to roll back the router's firmware, here's an update as to the problem:

HARDWARE:

A. 2 Xbox slims on static IPs.  One connects wireless. One connects wired.  

B. Both have Open NAT via Belkin N+ router (verified in dashboard connection test and MW3 lobby)

C. 2 GTs via Family plan

ISSUE:

1. Turned off both Xboxes. Unplugged router for 30 secs.

2. Plugged in router-waited for all lights to go solid blue (30 secs) and turned on both Xboxes.

3. Both boxes connected to XBL@Dashboard

4. Started game on both Xboxes. (MW3)

5. Both GTs loaded into individual MW3 lobby

5. Wired sent wireless invite

6. Wireless accepted....Error: Unable to join

7. Wired APPEARS to be still online (menus are slow) until I try to send another invite.

8. Message appears; Disconnected from XBL. Same thing will happen if the wireless sends the wired an invite (wireless will disconnect).

***From this point, the Xbox that was disconnected will not be able to connect again until I start from step 1.

$$ Both Xboxes can play seperately online, within each GTs own lobby (same game or different games) $$

Sorry this didn't help.

Any reason for the static ip's? Static ip addresses and UPnP (assuming your using UPnP on its own, no DMZ no portforwarding) don't usually get along

Sorry this didn't help.

None of the above has worked.  I can't even connect both boxes to a party chat - I get the same results.

@Shad0wman - Yes, it gets complicated but basically; I'm running 2 networks. My PCs are on a different IP (same subnet) and are behind a firewall.  I have a dual-homed MediaCenter PC which has one nic attached to the same network as the Xboxes.  So, the static IP is for communication to/from that PC.  Please keep in mind that my setup has NOT been altered (save for the recent suggestions above) and has been operating without a hitch since 2009.

That said, the issue appears to me to have similar results as when 2 PCs on a network have the same IP, which is rather strange, as they do not.

Sorry this didn't help.

MasterKilla have you tried to reset the network settings to defaults on the Xbox's to see if they can configure on its own?.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm ok if you want an Open NAT on both Xboxes then you really have to use UPnP alone and UPnP works properly when the ip addresses are set to auto so that the router can control the ip addresses via DHCP, can you try that as a test. You can set the lease time to forever on that router so the addresses should not change so it will replicate a static ip address

I understand what your saying about it working before but unless you make changes I can't see it fixing itself

Sorry this didn't help.

OK.  I did state BOTH Xboxes have Open NATs but I went ahead and put both Xboxes into DHCP mode as well as disconnected my other network from the Belkin Router.  So:

Both Xboxes have DHCP addresses assigned by Belkin Router.

Going through the Belkin Router with no other devices connected.

UPnP is enabled on the router. No ports forwarded. DMZ is not activated.

**Wireless security is set@ WPA-PSK.

**Belkin router rolled back to firmware 2.01.08

SAME RESULTS:  Whichever box initiates the invite, gets disconnected from XBL.

That's about as green as it gets sooooo...IDK

Sorry this didn't help.