Multiple Xbox360's with one Xbox Live Account

I have two Xbox 360's and one traditional Xbox.  I would like to share the Xbox Live account with the two 360's.  I don't plan to be online with both of them at the same time nor am I trying to garner any benefits that could be considered exploiting.  I just want to be able to play all my arcade games and browse the marketplace on one of the units.  Turn it off, and go turn on the other unit and do the same thing.  I also use my 360's for Netflix streaming and need to be on my Live account to do this as well.

As it stands right now, each time I want to switch I have to do a "recover gamer tag".  Why?  The network should be smart enough to determine that someone is is already logged in on an account and not allow two instances of any one Xbox Live account to connect at once.  That being said, I should simply be able to switch from one unit to the other and log in and out of Xbox Live.  Not allowing me to do so is seriously hindering my ability to enjoy my gaming experience.    Can someone please address this and let me know if there is a solution that does not require a five to ten minute procedure each time I want to use one or the other of my Xbox's.  Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

Invest in an Xbox Compatible USB Flash Drive and store your profile on that. Then when you move between consoles you just plug it in and go. For more information on USB Flash Drives and Xbox 360 go to USB Storage Device Support for Xbox 360 - Xbox.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue with this solution is my daughter is nine.  She is the one who most commonly plays or watches movies via Netflix.  Though I am sure I could teach her what to do in order to make this method viable it seems to me that I shouldn't have to.  I personally feel this should not require a work around, this should simply work properly.  

I do thank you for the idea though.  If I cannot find another solution I may be forced to try this.

Sorry this didn't help.

The solution that Temhotabot suggested is the best and easiest.  My son is also 9 years old and has no problem moving the usb from one console to the other in our house.  As a matter of fact, I showed him once how to move the gamertag from the console to the usb stick and now he is able to do that on his own as well.  If your 9 year old is anything like my 9 year old then you won't have a problem doing this as well.  Kids are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="mcourt"]As it stands right now, each time I want to switch I have to do a "recover gamer tag".  Why?[/quote]The current system requires a local copy of your gamertag to function, that's why.[quote]The network should be smart enough to determine that someone is is already logged in on an account and not allow two instances of any one Xbox Live account to connect at once.[/quote]Despite the obvious social engineering problems with this approach, it's what is coming soon from Microsoft. A "cloud" service will be arriving soon that does exactly what you're asking about, without the need for account recovery.[quote]Can someone please address this and let me know if there is a solution that does not require a five to ten minute procedure each time I want to use one or the other of my Xbox's.[/quote]For now, the only "workaround" is to put your gamertag on a USB MU and physically move it from console to console.

You should keep in mind that Live's accounts are intended for use by a single individual. They're not intended to be shared. You are responsible for what happens to your gamertag at all times. Don't say someone didn't warn you when your kid winds up getting your account banned due to the antics of her friends meddling with your tag while you're away.

Sorry this didn't help.

You said, "The current system requires a local copy of your gamertag to function, that's why."  I get that, my point is why does it require that?  If you understand networking you would know that things like that are antiquated and unnecessary. Microsoft/Xbox should be on the cutting edge of network capabilities, the service I am suggesting is rudimentary at best.  It should be a no brainer for them.

I gotta ask...  Social engineering problems?  In the immortal words of Domingo Montoya, I do not think that means what you think it means.  I appreciate the advice and the fact that you took the time to answer but lets be honest here.  You are throwing big words around in an attempt to make yourself sound knowledgeable.  I work on networks similar to the Live network; So when I say a simple authentication/verification, bit set showing active, refuse.  I know what I am talking about.  Social engineering has to do with the engineering of people or social structure, it has nothing to do with the network.  Perhaps you meant the topological layout addressed in the Network Engineering?  

As far as having a Live account per family member.  If each of us were using them for online gaming and such I would see the point.  However, when the primary reason for using it is the Marketplace and Netflix, having multiple accounts is beyond ridiculous.  I also feel that a little bit of parenting goes a long way here.  My daughter has a crystal clear understanding of consequence.  That being said, I am fairly sure her desire to continue to play will outweigh any "antics" she might consider.

As for all the rest of the responses, thank you.  I will have to try the USB drive method until an alternative is made by Xbox.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't worry, as Ice Storm mentioned above Cloud Storage is coming soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

i just spoke with xbox customer service and according to them there is nothing in the works to fix this issue. i think it's a pain also when all you want to do is watch a movie. if you register your consoles serial number on the xbox site, it would stand to reason that they would know it's you and your console and allow it to log in. hmmm.....guess no one has thought of that............

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes in one location at a time no cloud based service allows 2 devices to be connected with the same account

If you connect 2 browsers to one account one will be booted

It's for verification incase you leave your profile on a hd without deleting

If you want multiple logins then purchase the family plan

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot begin to tell you how much of a security risk some of the alternatives to the current system suggested are.

Sorry this didn't help.