Multiple Games Freezing

Hey guys, since Monday night, after an update to my Xbox via the dashboard, my Xbox has been freezing way more often than normal. While playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, I first noticed some graphical glitches, where there would be these stretched triangles coming off random corners of an object. This also occurred while playing NBA 2k11, and it something that usually never happens when playing 2k11. My Assassin's Creed froze on me after about 15-20 minutes, so I decided to play my old save on Mass Effect 2. After playing it for awhile, it also froze, and when I got back into the game, my save was corrupted and no longer playable 10+ hours of gameplay was wasted just like that.

Next, I played some Call of Duty: Black Ops online, after a few minutes into a game, it froze. I was starting to get pissed off, but I assumed I was just getting a bad string of bad luck. My NHL 2011 works fine. I'm able to play it without hiccups or freezing. Last night, I bought Mortal Kombat and attempted to play it. The game loads up fine, gets into the menu, and allows me to select fighters. After the match loads, it shows the fighters enter the screen, perform their animation, but shortly after the sound goes, and it plays a repeated, anooying buzzing sound before the game freezes completely. No matter what game setting I go into, freezing happens. I have not been able to play Mortal Kombat on my 360 yet.

So I tried some troubleshooting. First, I cleared the cache. Still freezes. Then I tried it without a harddrive. Still freezes. Then I tried deleting the Mortal Kombat files. Still freezes.

So I called up a friend of mine, and we were able to play Mortal Kombat with no problem on his Xbox.

Next, I called Xbox, and was basically told to wait until the update that was initiated today went live and see what happens. So I did, downloaded the update, and it still freezes. I tried some other things, like deleting my ME2 corrupt save and deleting some unneccessary files. I also tried using different xbox cables to see if that was the problem, but still, it freezes. Today, I called Xbox today, and argued with one woman because she said that I would have to pay for my Xbox to be repaired. I asked for the supervisor. He said that my situation was "strange" multiple times, and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. He told me that he was receiving some serial numbers from microsoft about today's firmware update and wasnt sure if mine was on the list. He told me to hang on maybe another day, then call back.

So my question is, is it possible that I downloaded the firmware update too early on Monday? Could that be having an effect? is my GPU or CPU dying? Why should I have to pay for another broken xbox (now my 4th, by the way). I had nothing to do with these failures, and I have strong reason to believe that its all happened since that update on Monday night.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Andrew

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 39 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

try installing it to your hard drive, this used to happen to me but installing it does the trick.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It sounds like you've tried all of the steps found in the disc-guide troubleshooter. If installing the games does not alleviate the issue, be sure to check that the console is in an open, well-ventilated environment. If it is already, then it will likely need a repair. You can check your warranty status and set one up here.

Sorry this didn't help.

My warranty status is over but that shouldn't be the issue. This problem started happening ever since I installed an update. Why should I have to pay money for something I couldn't prevent? I pay for Xbox Live, and without installing updates, I can't play on Xbox Live. Ever since the update, I've had the problem.

this situation is driving me nuts. When I called Microsoft, they acted as if they had never heard of this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, last night I tried Halo Reach. The game loaded fine, I searched for an online game, but once the loading screen came up after finding a game, an error message popped up that read "this disk is unreadable." Does this qualify me for the firmware replacement program?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a picture I took with my phone while playing NBA 2k11. This is what happens now, it never did this before the update. What is going on?

[View:http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z138/Bouchad96/IMG_20110519_200129.jpg]

Sorry this didn't help.

There are actually a few things that might be causing this issue, the don't require a repair.  First, have you clear the system cache since you installed the update?  Sometimes, as with all computer systems, installs and updates do not clean themselves up tidily, and can leave chunks of information in the cache.  Clearing the cache will clear any linger chunks of data, and can dramatically improve system performance.  This is done by doing the following:

System Settings>Memory>Highlight Hard drive>Press Y> Select Clear System Cache>Select Yes>Restart the console.

If this doesn't work, there is another option available that may resolve the problem.  I will monitor this thread for a response

Sorry this didn't help.

Clearing the cache does nothing. All it does it prompt me to install a games update again which doesnt fix the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did a few testing of my own with different games. Here are the results. Is it possible these games are freezing because they are related in some way? (ie: use the same engine, graphical tools, or disk format)

1. Games that Freeze:

a. FIFA 10 - Freezes at start

b. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Freezes few minutes after gameplay

c. UFC Undisputed 2010 - Freezes at start

d. EA Sports MMA - Freezes at start

e. Halo Reach - Freezes after game loading, gives “Disk is unreadable” message and allows me to return to dashboard

f. Mortal Kombat - Freezes right after match loading with sound glitches

g. Read Dead Redemption - Freezes after game loading

h. Call of Duty 2 - Freezes after game loading

i. Fallout: New Vegas - Froze after about 10 minutes, but I hear freezing is common with this game

j. Grand Theft Auto IV - Froze after just a minute in the game

k. Crackdown - Freezes during game loading

l. Crackdown 2 - Freezes at startup

2. Games that don’t freeze:

a. The Orange Box

b. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

c. NBA 2K11 - Works, but has major graphical glitches

d. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - Works, but has graphical glitches

e. ESPN NFL 2K5

f. NHL 11

g. Gears of War

h. Borderlands

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem as u! I bought the xbox 21.5.2011 and today it usually freeze!

Sorry this didn't help.

Do games always freeze in the same place?  If not I suspect an overheating issue.

Sorry this didn't help.